Spriggs Farm Park Is Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
    The best thing we can do to send emails to County Executive Steve Schuh, Director of Recreation & Parks Rick Anthony and Water Access Committee Chair Mike Lofton thanking them for opening Spriggs. (Contact info for all three further up in this thread.) Please tell them how you enjoyed the park and the Magothy, tell them about the problem with the neighbor and ask for signs designating a temporary parking area near the water like at Beverly-Triton. Emphasize how heavy your fishing yaks are and that wheeling them across the field is not possible. Attach a photo or two - attach a photo of your yak!

The county's getting an earful from the neighbors, the county needs to get sensible emails from us.
    Yes...I've done all of the above and got a fast and encouraging reply from the County Executive who said the signage at the park would be addressed.

I didn't send a photo, however. I figured the neighbor had already submitted a photo of me unloading near the path entrance since she said she was taking pictures.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Yes...I've done all of the above and got a fast and encouraging reply from the County Executive who said the signage at the park would be addressed.

I didn't send a photo, however. I figured the neighbor had already submitted a photo of me unloading near the path entrance since she said she was taking pictures.
      Hope she got your good side.

Lisa

Comment

Thanks again Lisa. I'm going to write my emails right now. It's one more of those things I have been feeling guilty about. I really do appreciate your efforts and the people in the county government that have opened up these areas. Spriggs is stunningly beautiful and the fishing was great.

If you do hear anything different concerning the loading please let us know, I don't want to give those in opposition any ammo and will use a cart if it is the rule. As stated earlier, I don't want to antagonize anyone but if I'm doing nothing wrong I don't want to be bullied by someone with maybe more selfish motives than just concern for the park. I'm the kind of person that will leave a place cleaner than before I came and treasure our natural resources and would be first in line to call park officials for any infractions.

Not sure but do believe it may have been the owner of the house right beside the park down by the launch. When I pulled back up to park the woman and two others were in that yard having a little powwow. May be some organized resistance to the park opening brewing.

Do have to say that another local came down on a golf cart, a small girl dressed as a princess and a Lab in tow. We exchanged some small talk and he was as pleasant of a gentleman you could meet. I dragged my kayak down and look behind me and here he comes lugging my crate down to the beach. Pleasant contrast to my earlier interactions with the residents of the area.
        Last edited by DonV; 10-26-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Lisa,

I just sent emails to all 3 parties you identified. Thanks for all your efforts in providing this much needed access!
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

My emails have been sent. I didn't get into any of the park rule stuff just a general warm and meant thanks to those that made the openings possible. And please whack me upside the head with a bat if I don't make the next meeting that Lisa needs support at, it would only be fair.

Comment

This orange fence at Spriggs Farm Park is temporary.

SpriggsTempFence.jpg

Rec & Parks put this orange fence up to stop people from parking right by the waterfront split rail fence. There's an eroding cliff just behind that fence. Within 2 weeks they are going to put up an additional split rail fence maybe ~20 yards more or less back from the existing waterfront fence and sign it for a loading and unloading zone like we have at Beverly-Triton.

So the carry will be a little longer but not the 100+ yards it is today.

Lisa

Comment

Thanks for the follow up

Comment

Excellent. Thanks Lisa!
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

That's good news.

It's also nice to know that the very vocal neighbor was only concerned about our safety.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                      This orange fence at Spriggs Farm Park is temporary.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17440[/ATTACH]

Rec & Parks put this orange fence up to stop people from parking right by the waterfront split rail fence. There's an eroding cliff just behind that fence. Within 2 weeks they are going to put up an additional split rail fence maybe ~20 yards more or less back from the existing waterfront fence and sign it for a loading and unloading zone like we have at Beverly-Triton.

So the carry will be a little longer but not the 100+ yards it is today.

Lisa
                      Thanks for the update Lisa. I actually stayed a little further up the hill than that, right around the second post up, as I'm horrible judging distances by eye and didn't remember exactly how many feet away you had said.

It really adds very little to the carry and is where I guessed from your description. When I was there I saw no one going past that point to load or unload and yet still the grief from the resident.

Glad it is official. I do have some concern and hope that no one would go down on really wet muddy days as I could see the possibility of the field getting torn up with someone trying to get back up the hill. The ground and turf feel really stable, tight and solid but with enough traffic and lack of common sense I guess it could be a problem. Don't want to give those opposed anything use against the opening.

Thanks again.

Comment

That's good news.

It's also nice to know that the very vocal neighbor was only concerned about our safety.
                        Did you get the "for us concerned about the environment" line? I don't think I was was deemed one of the us. Yes, I'm sure she is only concerned about our safety and the environment. Not that she happens to have a little gem of an AA county resident funded park as an extension of her property for exclusive use.

I don't know what it is but I seem to always get sucked into these situations. I still will never forget the look on my wife's face when the ranger gave her "can't you read" and "I don't know who you people are or where you come from" on our first trip to Beverly Triton. Thank god she controls her temper better than back when we first got together ages ago. There is something in there that scares me to this day.
                        Last edited by DonV; 10-30-2015, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I heard nothing about the environment (or our safety) in her verbal onslaught. I clearly heard, "I'm taking pictures."
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

I heard nothing about the environment (or our safety) in her verbal onslaught. I clearly heard, "I'm taking pictures."
                            I'm just glad the county has stepped up and gave us a little guidance and now there should be no confusion as to the rules.

Comment

AND I got word yesterday afternoon that things changed again . . . for the better.

Rec & Parks realized the hardship caused by the new orange fence and took down part of that fence. Please go past that fence park temporarily *20 yards* back from the waterfront split rail fence, drop off your yak and gear and then move your car to the meadow parking area marked off by another split rail fence.

If you are harassed by the neighbor in Spriggs Park, please email a brief time, date and what happened report to Chris Carroll email = rpcarr99@aacounty.org He's with Rec & Parks and is keeping track of this situation.

Thanks

Lisa

Comment

Thanks Lisa

Comment

Working...
                                X