6-30 OC Inlet report...And this time i had a net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-30 OC Inlet report...And this time i had a net

Got on the water with Matt today at 0600 and headed straight to the 50 bridge (ocean gateway). Matt picked up a small flounder right away. For the rest of the day i either saw flounder chasing my jig or pulled up crabs. This is where it gets wierd. On a bucktail/gulp combo i catch this guy @14'' 2lbs.

My first tautog ever. the flounder is still on the loose..
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Unusual catch, Pinch but it is a delicious fish-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

nice tog, that is unusual,. what color BT/grub?

Comment

nice catch! how far is the paddle to the bridge from your launch point?
        sigpic

Comment

not even a 1/4 mile its right there
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

That flounder will be the cause of thousands of dollars and will tease you to your grave ......... but at least you got him to the boat ........ NICE TAUG ...... better prize than the flounder

Comment

what?! no water-filled kayaks and lost fish?!

that tog looks tasty!

headed to Ohio for the weekend to se family.......no tog OR flounder out there!

Comment

The tog is a good surprise even if it isn't a citation doormat. At least this trip was less chaotic.

I've been told that you should drop your lure immediate if the flounder follows it up because it'll hit it again, but I've never had that work when it's happened to me.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

My floundering has mostly been done with bait dragging along the bottom- I don't touch my rods until they are bent over like they are hung up on bottom- a nice, well-tapered strip bait (like shark belly) has been my "go to" bait tipped with a big bull minnow hooked through the lips- that combo always fires for me-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice work! Very cool. I NEED some saltwater!!

I've seen tog in "open" water. Snorkeling in Raritan Bay on a bright sunny afternoon was surprised to see several stacked up around 3 old pilings that were well away from any structure. No more than 10' deep. Flat, sandy bottom so they had to swim some open area to get there. Went back to the boat and grabbed a rod but... no joy!

Comment

Thanks for the report.

Man Gulp catches everything. That makes me want to try the little gulp peeler crabs for togs now.

Comment

OC Report Continued....

I caught 5 flounder all shorts the biggest 2 were around 15 inches. All caught on chartreuse gulp alive mullet on a white 1oz sea striker bucktail.

All caught either on the east or west channel south of the Rt 50 bridge.

Also we had a close encounter with a pod of dolphin. Probably less than 20 ft from Pinch's Yak. I posted a pic and you can see the dolphin right past his yak.

The pictures of the flounder are around 14 inches.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Heres some more pics, another flounder and my yak (it's coming along... still a work in progress)
                          Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the follow up and pics. i need to plan a day there asap.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X