Maiden Voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Voyage

I have been planning on trying to fish from my kayak for a while now and yesterday seemed like a great day to try. In the morning I helped teach a first responder class at Wagner Power Plant and the guys pointed out the WWDs. I live in Stoney beach which is a short distance away so I launched after class (1400hrs). I fished along the coal shoot and in the waters off the Stoney Beach boardwalk with no bites. There were plenty of small boats out and no one seemed to be having any luck. More boats were trying the mouth of the Stoney Creek but weren't staying long. Later I fished from the boardwalk and nothing started biting until after dark. At the very least this gave me a good look at the effort involved in kayak fishing. I'm going to keep trying and maybe next year I will invest in a fishing kayak. The tips in the other threads have been very helpfully. See you on the water!

It's a learning process like any other, this is my first year fishing from a yak and there is so much to know, plus the seasonal changes happening nearly weekly. I'm seeing mouths are productive on outflows and banks, structure and shallows more so on in. Center in on 3-4 lures like spinners, paddletails, jigs and run those consistently. Come up with hypothesis on where the fish are and if they're feeding based on conditions and time, change up your location, running lure depth, etc to meet them. Even with that I'm still seeing skunk day/s, but even so it's still a day in the country, getting exercise and doing something I love. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Yep- kayak fishing is much different from fishing from a center console bay boat- for one thing your area of travel is much more limited- you have to carefully choose your target fishing areas, secondly safety is paramount- I always try to fish with a buddy- even though I frequently fish alone- only turtled once in hundreds of trips, but that was a real wakeup call for me- I have pushed the envelope a lot since I first started kayak fishing- I know what my kayak can take in rough waters...more than I want to...sitting flat on the water you have to learn how to cast differently, fighting fish at water level is different, so is landing them- I always keep a rod's length of line out and lift my rod to bring the fish near the kayak to prevent leaning out- that is how I turtled- lunging after a big redfish barely hooked in the lip...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

Based on your post, I believe you live close to the Saturday's M&G.

Please join us if weather allows.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I went out Tuesday and got 2 keepers. First time landing a keeper rockfish on the kayak. It's a little tough though without a fish/depth finder. I'm so hooked that I backed out of overtime to get out on the water due to the nice weather. I'm learning so much everyday. Tuesday was probably my 6th time on the water with the kayak. So much to learn and try... I live in Pasadena too, maybe we can hook up one day. I'm new to the game but I'm loving it.
          Shawn
          2015 Ascend FS12T Angler Kayak - Desert Storm - 12'

Comment

I live in orchard beach and fish that area often Its the time of year for nice fish there
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Hit the mouth of the Stoney Creek today and caught my first, second, and third striper from a kayak. They were all 8-12" but it allowed me to practice removing the hook and untangling my line while rocking in the wake of passing boats. My last fish actually jumped and grabbed the plug whenever I was untangling it. All fish released unharmed so I'm calling today a success.

Comment

Congrats on your first kayak striper! It's a totally different game, eh? A mid 20" fish on light tackle in a plastic boat feels like a monster compared to catching one from the shore or a larger boat.

No need to get a fishing specific kayak unless you really want to. I fished for several years in a basic sit-in and did just fine.
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Went out to the mouth of the Stoney Creek yesterday and didn't have any luck casting so I tried trolling for the first time. For me, this means casting then jamming my pole behind my seat and leaning back. Within 10 min I had a 16" rock which is my biggest from a kayak. Over the next 30 min I caught five 8"-12" and found a bald eagle chilling by the power plant. All I want to do is catch one keeper before the end of the season and I will be happy.
                  IMG_0626.jpgIMG_0634.jpg

Comment

Sounds like somebody is getting snagged. Welcome to the site and congrats on your success.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                    X