Boat Cover Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Cover Recommendations

Winter is coming. And for those of us without garages, a boat cover will be necessary.

So I'm looking for a cover for my Hobie PA12. To-date I've been using a tarp. Simple, but effectively a PITA and an eyesore. I realize that Hobie sells a cover with their brand, but I'm a bit reluctant to purchase it. For one, I'd like a cover with elastic I can simply pull over the kayak rather than dealing with straps. Also, Hobie doesn't actually make the cover...they just brand it. Oh, and the price.

There was a Cabelas camo cover that was popular a few years ago, but it sold out.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality boat cover for the PA12?
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

I got the Hobie Cover for my PA-14. Used it all summer to keep the UV rays to a minimum. The Hobie is very durable and fits well. Materials are quality and I am very happy with it. I looked a cheaper covers, but did not see the quality, even for the cheaper price.

Yak-67
    2015 H0bie PA-14

Comment

I'm looking at picking this up for my Big Game. I've got to start keeping my yak outside of the garage and don't want to do the tarp route mainly because I don't want to deal with spiders and what not when lifting it on my car. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VORTEX-W...item27dabb11b1

They have longer ones and I imagine that it will be a baggy fit since they seem to be aimed at Canoes too, but I'm not too concerned about that. I like the waterproof zipper and materials. I hope to get one soon, so if you haven't decided by the time I do, I'll post a review.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
        I'm looking at picking this up for my Big Game. I've got to start keeping my yak outside of the garage and don't want to do the tarp route mainly because I don't want to deal with spiders and what not when lifting it on my car. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VORTEX-W...item27dabb11b1

They have longer ones and I imagine that it will be a baggy fit since they seem to be aimed at Canoes too, but I'm not too concerned about that. I like the waterproof zipper and materials. I hope to get one soon, so if you haven't decided by the time I do, I'll post a review.
        I just purchased this cover for one of my outbacks. It fits well and seems to be a quality cover for the price. Only time will tell if it holds up....I purchased my cover on Amazon.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice Sparky! I saw them on Amazon too, but I figured that I could escape taxes on ebay. I'm glad to see someone else here has one. I've read some reviews online and they were pretty good. I really like the 5 year warranty.

Comment

I have a danu punk whivh is what ack recomended for the pa14 and it barely goes past the hbar, so now I'm looking for something else

Comment

So far it looks like Vortex may be the way to go. From the pictures it looks alright, maybe a bit baggy. But I like the 5 year warranty. But it looks like you have to pull the kayak into it, which is kind of a PITA when you're fishing several times a week.

I wish someone made a high quality kayak cover that fit like a shower cap. Isn't that the way most boat covers work?
              I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

I didn't even think of the way you had to put the cover on! LOL I was hoping that the extra bagginess would allow me to lay it out and pull it over the yak where the zipper was closer to the top. Who knows. I'll be grabbing one next check.

Comment

Sparky what size did you purchase for the Outback and how much extra space does it have?? I need it to fit over my motor.
                  Thanks to Huntrava for bringing up this topic. I had been using a tarp like a few others and it really doesn't do the job very well.

Kitkat
                  2015 Outback
                  2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Haven't heard back from anyone on this topic for a few weeks, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Vortex. For a 600D waterproof cover, 70 seems like a fair price. I'll let you know how this turns out.
                    I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Got one for my cuda 14. It was a 16 footer, seems to work Ok. But had to unzip and let the water out from a recent rain.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

My bad! I still haven't pulled the trigger yet! LOL

Salty so water still got inside the cover even when it was zipped?

Comment

Yes, don't hold my comment wrong, it is a quality cover, same quality and same material as my Weber grill cover. It advertises as water resistant and not waterproof. If you decide to pull the trigger, make sure the zipper is on the bottom when stored. I have only had it for a few weeks, but don't expect water proof.
                          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Ahhh ok gotcha. I can live with water in there, it's the bugs I hate falling on my head when I'm loading up! I'll keep in mind zipper down when I do grab it.

Comment

pfyk5XO.jpg

Here's the 13 foot Vortex cover on a PA12. Seems to fit well, and the material is reasonably heavy. Not canvas by any means, but I don't think the elements will get through. I like that it is low-key...no decals or logos.

Just a note--I had to lower/disconnect some of the gadgets attached to the kayak to get the cover on. My cutting board and extended rod holders weren't even close to fitting.
                              I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Working...
                              X