storm damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storm damage

thanks to the wonderful waves crashing over the riprap walls, my pier took some serious damage. at least the main beams are intact. i didn't want to play hopscotch to get a full count but i think around 15 boards are gone. one i found down the beach but the rest were lost to the sea. gonna have some trips to Lowes this week and a bit of labor. just glad the house didn't flood. the back porch was covered in water but the back door seal held and the property diverted most water to the pond. heres a pic of the beginning portion of the pier. the waves are still pretty bad here but not over the wall anymore. good luck to all of you fishing this week. hope your home waters are better than here.

20151005_171022_resized.jpg
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

It's fish karma coming back to haunt you for catching all their brothers. How did the launch fare, or is it still underwater?
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

there are some huge trees washed ashore by the launch but its not bad. i went for a walk around the corner past the big pier and found 11 of my boards so its a win!!!
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Holy Guacamole Rich! That is a new pier (was sorry). Glad you got your boards back. If it's that high still, man when is it going down??

Glad you and Molly and the house were ok We do things BIG here on the East Coast

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

I've been cursing you and your fish off that pier but really didn't want to see that happen. Good luck with the repairs and glad to see you found most of your planks.

Comment

ya Gary, a few of the waves actually hit on my porch. it was sketchy to listen to it happen from my living room. but the water was flooding well towards the pond so i figured i was ok. although the pier was in a newish condition, after closer look now, the nails are all rusted out. so I'm gonna replace what boards weren't too damaged by being bashed into the rocks for two days and then go get some new ones for the rest. and then I'm gonna put a few extra new nails in all the rest of the remaining boards that didn't come out. better to be safe than sorry. the water is down now back to normal although the water was still muddy. it should clear up just in time for more bad weather to hit later in the week.
            Rich

Comment

The fish are getting back at you for all the hookups. Glad that the main part of your pier is intact. You'll have it looking new again and back in action soon. More post of hookups to come I imagine too.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Thats sucks Rich, glad you found the boards. The fun of living so close to the water.

Comment

Rich, you may want to stay away from Lowes and Home Depot and find a marine contractor with a good source of marine lumber. The treated lumber the box stores sell are not recommended for marine construction and renovation. Only for general consumer use. Thanks to the government control.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

thanks for the advice Freddie T. i am just renting so we shall see what the owner is willing to pay for. if he wants cheap wood then thats what the pier gets. haha.
                    Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X