Reel cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel cleaning

What can I use to clean the outside of my reels there starting to show some green stuff on there I know water n soap but like what kinda oil or somthing

Water and soap on a rag after each trip for the outside of your reels. (Don't soak them) If you wanna take it a step farther you can spray them off at the ramp with water from a garden sprayer. Avoid products like WD-40. I don't know what kind of reels you have but often times there are online videos that make internally greasing and oiling your reels fairly easy. I just serviced a few of mine and it wasn't too bad. Good rainy project.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Vinegar may help take the greening off. Are these Penn conventional reels? Simple Green is another good choice. I use corrosion X (oil) and yamaha marine grease (blue) per Alan Tani's recommendations (www.alantani.com). It's a very helpful site with detailed guides for many reels.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I use mild soap and water, or just water on a low pressure rinse to get the salt off. I stay away from lubes with oil like wd40. After drying for a few days I occasionally use reel magic which is great stuff
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Never seen stuff, other than dust/dirt on the outside of a reel. Is it corrosion? Green. Like corrosion on brass (verdigris). If so, there are polishes that will remove the verdigris and leave a coat of polish on the exterior.

I have not used it on reels (like I said, never seen corrosion on reel - freshwater fisherman only) but I've used some stuff for cars/wheels called Never Dull. Comes in a silver can (Walmart, Advance Auto, etc.) Open the can, tear off a piece of the cleaner/polish impregnated fiber and wipe away. Once it dries (hazes over like car wax/polish) just use a clean soft rag to remove the haze. I've used it to take rust stains off windows, to clean up/shine dirty, slightly rusty rims, clean up and polish stainless steel sinks, etc. I did try it on some old and pretty tarnished brass drawer pulls and it did not faze the corrosion on that brass, so it may not work well on brass, or maybe heavily tarnished brass. I use Brasso for brass cleaning (military thing).

Walmart sells a little kit that has a tube of reel grease and squeeze bottle of reel oil. I bought one awhile back and started going through my reels cleaning them up and re-lubing them. When you take them apart you can see the areas with (dried up) grease, so put grease back on those spots after cleaning the old grease off. Oil on spots that don't have grease on them.

As mentioned in earlier posts, you can find you tube videos for the disassembly, cleaning, re-lubing and reassembly of fishing reels (and lots of other stuff).

Good luck. A smooth reliable reel makes fishing more enjoyable for sure.

Comment

I have found that "Flitz" will clean just about anything. Comes in a tube. Started using it many years ago while in the army. Takes the green off of brass instantly. Also great for cleaning jewelry. Can be used on painted surface but don't rub so hard that you remove the paint. All cleaners of this type have some degree of abrasive. If your problem is actually mold and not tarnish you might try one of the products for removing mold from your house. (outside such as shingles)

Comment

Working...
            X