Thule roof rack distance between bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thule roof rack distance between bars

I just installed a roof rack of my car. Volvo S60 in hopes of transporting my kayak. The distance between the racks is only 26 inches. That seem very close together and a greater distance would provide a more secure attachment. What is the distance that other folks have. I searched the Thule website and couldn't find much information.

My wife has a Nissan Versa and the crossbars are about 26". I think it seems really close too. We've used J-bar style kayak holders on it while transporting kayaks, but the bigger the kayak, the more unsecured it seemed. A kayak cradle, or just lying them upside down directly on the crossbars, seemed more secure than the J-bars and worked much better. Her 12'6" sit-in-kayak is so light it works better with the close crossbars than my 13'6" much heavier Ocean Kayak. I imagine if you have a big, bulky Hobie it'll require bow and stern straps for more stability during transport.

For reference, the crossbars on my Nissan Xterra are more like 41" apart making traveling very secure.
    Brian

Comment

26" on my Mazda 6. Thule instructions for my equinox say 24" minimum.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

The distance between Thule bars is dependent upon the vehicle it is installed upon. The Thule Fit Guide we have a the store specifies the minimum bar spread for each vehicle they make racks for. Other info listed is what types of toys can be safely loaded on the rack once properly installed. Certain vehicles, while they may have compatible rack that can be installed. do not provide sufficient spread for bigger loads like boats.

26' isn't a lot of spread for a bigger boat. If you do end up using the system, be sure use a bow line (at least) and ideally a stern line as well. That will stabilize the load so that the chance of problems is greatly minimized.

You can call Thule Customer Service and ask if they recommend putting a kayak on your Volvo. I think the number is 888-238-2388. If you can't get the info you need, PM me with the specific info for your vehicle and I will check the Fit Guide when I am in the store this week
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
        X