Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fyi, Discovery Channel Premiering New Yak Fishing Show on 10/23

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/pacific-warriors/

Interesting. I guess Wicked Tuna was successful so they're trying a kayak show. It's a little heavy on the useless, dangerous drama for me though, but that's ratings bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
      Interesting. I guess Wicked Tuna was successful so they're trying a kayak show. It's a little heavy on the useless, dangerous drama for me though, but that's ratings bait.
      Yeah, it sorta misses the feel of our sport and tries to make it sound like we're jumping in a shark cage. I'll def watch it, but I think for most of us kayak anglers, it won't necessarily hit home, if you know what I mean.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

It will definitely be packed with drama. I'm sure there will be a lot of suspenseful shark bite near misses. I hope they do our sport justice and don't cast a bad shadow over our addiction.
        2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumptrelecent View Post
          It will definitely be packed with drama. I'm sure there will be a lot of suspenseful shark bite near misses. I hope they do our sport justice and don't cast a bad shadow over our addiction.
          I don't think there is any avoiding their missing the point of what we do and why we do it. The whole story would not impress the ratings whores. I hope I am wrong.... I would love to be wrong....
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Don't waste your time! All of you know this will be "The Real World" of kayak fishing....no thanks.

Hobie Revo 13
            www.tomlagana.net

Comment

I am personally looking forward to it. Is it the type of fishing we have here...no. But honestly, I wouldn't really wanna watch a 60 minute show about some guy trolling in the Severn for 18" stripers. These guys love fishing just as much if not more than we do. It is in their blood, as their ancestors have done it on the island for centuries. They just happen to have a much more badass and dangerous fishing environment. Will there be some media fueled ratings drama; absolutely, but they'll also be wahoo, billfish, tuna, and other pelagics caught. I think as a whole, any network show that promotes the versatility and safety of a kayak is good for our sport. Some guy who is on the fence may see this and think if they are catching wahoo and lord knows what else from their kayak, why can't he take his out on the bay and the many species it has to offer.
              Last edited by RavensDfense; 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                I think as a whole, any network show that promotes the versatility and safety of a kayak is good for our sport. Some guy who is on the fence may see this and think if they are catching wahoo and lord knows what else from their kayak, why can't he take his out on the bay and the many species it has to offer.
                Ditto.

I love watching fishing shows... except haven't had cable in years... it was always fun on Sunday mornings to watch the shows.

For some of us... extreme Perch fishing is what we can get...
                I have always tried to emphasis in my my posts that you don't need to spend tons of money to get out and just "do it."

Not to follow to trodden path... and to explore and experience the beauty of the Bay.
                It raises awareness to the vital resource and how delicate it is.

It's gonna be TV.. and entertainment.... and well... TV...

I know you mean well when you mentioned that you'd rather watch this show as opposed to folks on the Severn.
                Its your flavor... And I don't think you mean any ill will to those that post videos to their adventures.
                It is your preference and what you like.

No biggie... probably fun to watch the show...
                But of course... get out and "just do it."

sorry got to go... Mule Jumping in Pittsville coming up on the TV....

Comment

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I love catching 18" stripers from just about anywhere, I just don't think it'd make a good 60 minute fishing show. Lol

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

And for that matter, I also enjoy other members 5-10 minute videos. I once posted a video of me missing a top water strike. That didn't even contain a caught fish!

All I am saying is that this is like anything, if something is going to hold today's audience's attention for an hour it better be pretty entertaining.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I really want to see where they take this show as some of there "cast" have been very active on youtube over the past few years. Its nice to see some of these guys go from youtube to the tv. Hope the show turns out well....they have some very talented anglers.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                      Tan-Tarpon 140
                      Lime-Pelican Matrix
                      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Working...
                      X