Good dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good dog breed

I know some of you take your doggies out on the yak with you. I am thinking about getting a dog to ride in my jeep and ride on my Yak with me. What breeds have you guys found to be very kayak friendly?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

A sturdy mutt has been my go to dog. I got this mess from Fallston Animal Rescue in Fallston and she has been great. Coco.jpg
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

I have an Australian cattle dog. (Blue Heeler) She's been easy to train and has done well in the kayak.. I think Drew Gregory may also have an ACD. They are a very active breed and do need some space to run around, although you don't actually need any cows or sheep for them to be happy. Ours is a rescue and you can occasionally find them on petfinder, or look up ACD rescue.
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

My Border Collie will go in the yak and loved to ride in my sidecar rig.

Comment

10550862_10153399371851018_4828158660514754507_n.jpg I have a lab and a beagle, their is a great local lab rescue that is called Lab Rescue LRCP http://www.imis100us1.com/labs/. They have adoption coordinators that work with you and will help find a dog that fits your activity and life style needs. All it takes is a little love and a lot of patience and you could train almost any dog to participate in your activities.
          Travis
          Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Orange Old Town NEXT
          USN

Comment

Good dog breed

I currently have two small muts I take with me about 50% of the time. They are lighter and don't upset the boat moving around. I literally keep my native around as my "dog" boat. You do have to teach them not to attack fish. My border collie mix was actually attacking sharks as I was trying to unhook them.

They'll go on any vessel.

Previously I had a lab that is no longer with us. I didn't like taking her in the kayak as she was about 90# and I was always worried she would flip me as she moved around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Last edited by willf650; 10-02-2015, 10:58 PM.
            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
            2015 Coosa HD
            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Might want to consider a Portuguese water dog. They can be trained to herd fish to you, and retrieve lost tackle. Now that I know that (Google is wonderful), I will need at least two lol
              Last edited by Hemingway; 10-03-2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I remember reading, when I was a kid, that the Indians liked dogs with short legs as they rode better in canoes. I guess the closer the weight is to the water, the more stable they, and the canoe, would be.

Even then, it's a weight and personality thing. The dog's got to be calm and laid back or it'll constantly be getting in your way, knocking stuff around the kayak, etc.

I just got one from the pound at home about a month ago that might work out pretty good. He weighs 51 lbs. per the recent check up at the vet's. He's got long hair and is supposed to be half black lab and half golden retriever (for some reason they end up smaller in size than the parents per some research my wife was doing). They (mix of the above two breeds) have a reputation of being very smart and very calm/laid back dogs. This one is. He gets a belly rub and he's ready to just lay down within a few feet of me and watch me do what ever I'm doing. In a month I've only had to smack him on the butt once. He learns by being talked to/shown or just by watching the other dogs and me. I don't have to tell him to go to the pen, I head that way and he beats me in there. Other than sit, shake hands, stay down, belly rub time, etc. that's about the limit of what I care about a dog minding me on. If we get to kayaking I'll have to see what else he needs to learn.

Oh, this is prime time for him. In the last month I noticed if the sun is shining he'll find a shady spot to lay down in and there ain't many shady spots on a kayak out on the water. Maybe I need to figure out how to install an umbrella (wonder how that works out in a breeze???)

Comment

My labs are great and of course they love water. But not a good choice to bring on the kayak. My male black lab is over 90 lbs, which is not that huge for the breed. He could sit in the kayak, but too big. I would have to get him his own kayak and tow it to take him out with me. My chocolate female is 75 lbs, but hates my kayak.

Comment

ACD = much exercise.

John
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                    X