No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this rig for the surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am leaving tomorrow for a trip to VA beach and plan on doing some surf fishing, I figured spending all day alone in a yak defeats the purpose of a family vacation. In any case this thread has been helpful, as I am coming into this totally cold. I went to Anglers today and bought a rig, it's on the small side as my interest lies more in lure fishing and the rig will see most of it's use as a catfish rod for winter pier fishing.

Can anyone recommend some must-have lures in the 1-3oz range? I have a few jigheads, a bucktail, and an impressively large Kastmaster already.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Gulp on a jig head is a good place to start. Get yourself a gotcha lure as well just in case you see blues/Spanish close in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

So far I have had the tails bit off of 6 Gulp 5" mullets and 3 6" BKDs. I have lost the Kastmaster to a line break while casting (man, that thing flew a damm mile) and lost an surface plug to a closed bail.

My total catch has been one blue crab which clamped onto the stump of a Gulp. I'm currently bait fishing with cut eel and drinking beer in the sand. I am absolutely bringing the yak next time.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Damn that's tough. Make sure you check those knots! And what's biting those tails off is most likely bluefish (could be crabs, I've pull crabs in with my gulp before). If it's blue, cut the gulp into tiny pieces and use it to catch small pinfish, spot or whatever other baitfish. Cut the baitfish into skinny strips about 2" long. Then you can show them blues who's boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Zack
          Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
          "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
          X