No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this rig for the surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the "Magnum" fast tie for 50, 20151001_204005.jpg80 and 100 lb mono leaders. Works great, but can still be a challenge with the heavier gauge hooks. Just gotta keep it a bit loose until the pull off tighten.

Comment

There are lot's of different rigs you can tie for the surf, what are you fishing for?

Your fishfinder looks good. But like the others said, work on the knots a little to avoid all the kinks in the line.
      Brian

Comment

Redfish. Caught 6 last year over the course of four days and want to maximize my chances. My largest was 31 inches. Work all year for this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
          I use the "Magnum" fast tie for 50, [ATTACH=CONFIG]17267[/ATTACH]80 and 100 lb mono leaders. Works great, but can still be a challenge with the heavier gauge hooks. Just gotta keep it a bit loose until the pull off tighten.
          Interesting, I might still have my directions, I'll take a look and see if the directions I have mention snelling.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by skeet123 View Post
            Redfish. Caught 6 last year over the course of four days and want to maximize my chances. My largest was 31 inches. Work all year for this trip.
            Yeah, that's what I'd go with if targeting big reds. Provides the best casting distance for big lead and big baits.

But if your catching more puppy drum sized ones, a good hand-tied hi/lo with 5/0 circle hooks is another good option. I like meat on one hook and a crustacean of some sort on the other.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              Yeah, that's what I'd go with if targeting big reds. Provides the best casting distance for big lead and big baits.

But if your catching more puppy drum sized ones, a good hand-tied hi/lo with 5/0 circle hooks is another good option. I like meat on one hook and a crustacean of some sort on the other.
              For the Puppy Drum, oh yeah. High/Low with small cut Spot, Mullet or Bluefish on the top, Gulp or Sand flea on the bottom. Enough weight to hold, and a nice 4 or 5 circle: killer!

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I use palomar knots for every connection on my surf rigs. I've never had a fish come close to breaking, or undoing my palomar knots. A little faster than snelling, and it's super easy. That's just what works for me.

That rig will do just fine, but I'd use heavier mono than that. 8nbait drum rigs are generally tied with 80-100lb mono. I'd also do what another poster said and add another bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Zack
                  Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                  "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I just tie my hooks with a uni. Straightened out hooks, but not had the uni fail. For heavier than 60 lb, I would crimp connections like you do with wire leaders.

Comment

If you plan to fish the surf anywhere from here to NC at this time of year, you need a sputnik weight. Even an eight ounce pyramid won't hold in the strong surf. We used to joke about "throwing eight and bait" before the sputniks came along. They made live bearable by dropping the weight down and still being able to hold in the surf.

I too recommending snelling your hooks and using beads if you are making your own rigs. I would not use circle hooks because of the nature of fishing the surf. During retrieval, there are times when you get slack line and circle hooks are easy to throw. J hooks stay in from my experience.

I have fished the surf from N.S. to Florida and had to give it up at 64 due to arthritis. My longest pole was a 15 foot custom for the Outer Banks.

BTW, a sputnik weight has four stainless steel legs that extend out from the lead body. Went set for casting, they dig into the sand and really hold. When you retrieve, the legs pop out of their locking detents and reverse. This allows for easy retrieval. You can buy them in most surf fishing stores from NJ to NC.

Good luck,

John
                      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Cool. If 10 does not hold I use them. I prefer not to throw more than that.

Comment

Why not circle hooks. I prefer circle hooks myself.

Comment

Originally posted by skeet123 View Post
                            Why not circle hooks. I prefer circle hooks myself.
                            Go-to Drum/Shark/Cobia/Ray/Big Catfish hook. Circle hooks all day. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gamak...4085881&rid=20
                            Zack
                            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

My experience was that fish would throw a circle hook more often than a J hook in rough surf.

John
                              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Sputniks are great in really rough surf. When 8oz+ isn't holding, I can usually switch to a 5oz sputnik and hold. I'd suggest lengthening the hook leader a couple inches when using sputniks to keep the hook from tangling in the sputnik's prongs.

Contrary to John's experience, I've never had any real issues with fish throwing circle hooks in a rough or calm surf. Even if the fish takes the bait and runs right towards the beach leaving you with slack line, the circle usually catches. I stick with 10/0 size for striper, black drum, and bull reds.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X