Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this rig for the surf?

uploadfromtaptalk1443741432506.jpg

Looks good. That should not create a helicopter on the cast and when/if taken, the fish won't feel the weight. Personally prefer a bead above and below the weight swivel so it does not hit the barrel swivel knot.

Hope it screams!

Comment

make sure you wet your knots before drawing them down, the friction warps the line and put the kinks in it by your swivel. I would also suggest learning how to "snell" a hook, it's a better connection than just using a regular fishing knot and it lines up the hook shank and fishing line.

I havne't done much surf fishing, so I can't offer much advice on how that will perform in that situation.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Also consider a tongue weight for better holding power.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
          Also consider a tongue weight for better holding power.
          Could you post a picture, I think I know what you mean, but even the google didn't bring up an image of one.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

uploadfromtaptalk1443744495091.jpg

Comment

20151001_200001.jpg

Snell the hook for best results. The shorter the length between barrel/knot/crimp and hook, the better to reduce helicopter effect and increased/improved aerodynamics when casting.

Comment

Will do. Thanks. Do you Snell all your hooks?

Comment

Snell all. I use a "Tie Fast" tool and it works great. 20151001_201701.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by skeet123 View Post
                    [ATTACH]17264[/ATTACH]
                    That actually is not what I was expecting...so, that's a tongue weight, huh?
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Snell all. I use a "Tie Fast" tool and it works great. [ATTACH=CONFIG]17266[/ATTACH]
                      I have one of those, I use it for doing "nail knots" on fly line. Never thought of using it to snell hooks. Learned a second new thing from this thread. Thanks y'all.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

The tongue weight will "settle" in the sand and hold well. Pyramids work as well, but I like the tongues for casting. Seems like I can get away with a slightly lighter weight vice pyramid. Just my opinion. They both work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          I have one of those, I use it for doing "nail knots" on fly line. Never thought of using it to snell hooks. Learned a second new thing from this thread. Thanks y'all.
                          Spot on, perfect nail knots. I have the small and large, they are time savers.

I meant snelling, works like a champ!

Comment

Spot on, perfect nail knots. I have the small and large, they are time savers.
                            I didn't know they made them in different sizes, I've had mine for 15 years or so.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Awesome that tool looks like it would make snelling easier. The thicker lines can be tougher for me to tie.

Comment

Working...
                              X