Martha's Vineyard Derby Suicide Trip 9/25-9/27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martha's Vineyard Derby Suicide Trip 9/25-9/27

So family vacation in Lewes, DE was a ton of fun but the constant 30-40 mph NE winds left me wanting some fishing action. I was hoping to get a couple days of outer wall exotic hunting in. Thursday night we were packing to leave the next morning when my buddy asked me if I would drive to Martha's Vineyard and try and catch the 6 am ferry. A totally insane request, but at that point I was pretty cracked out and willing to consider anything- even if it meant driving for the next 9 hours. It took me about 15 minutes to decide it was the right choice and I decided to leave right then and there. I drove to philly to pick up my buddy, reserved our ferry ticket on my iphone and jetted north to wood's hole. We got there at 5:45, got on the ferry and were on island and casting to breaking albies by 7:30. I hooked TWELVE albies the first day! Sadly I only landed 4 but it was an insane day of action. Day two I picked up three more and shanked 3 more on our final morning in just 2 hours of fishing. My buddy blanked day 1, landed 5 on day 2 and 1 on the last morning.

Our goal was to win Albie super Saturday. I caught one fish that morning that was fatter than any other I saw on the beach and took it to the weigh in only to be a pound or so short. It was a great trip for a last minute potential disaster. Will be going back October 3-11 when hopefully the winds are less terrible and trying like hell to get on the kayak leaderboard!

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Badass, man! Two false albie reports in the last two days makes me want to go on a suicide run myself. Then I remember I have to make money and work. Dang.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Love the spontaneous road trip!! Sounds like you guys had a blast. Alibis are worth it!!

Thanks for the inspiration!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Congrats Ryan .......... Great talking to ya ........ Heading up Wed regardless of illness or weather. Not taking the yak because they are calling for lots of wind and maybe rain ......... Hope to see ya Saturday

Comment

Hopefully they don't cancel the ferries Saturday! I'll be on the 6 am. If there are actually 60 mph winds sunday like they are calling for you might wanna consider leaving Saturday... This cursed tropical storm looks like it has the potential to ruin fishing for the entire week I'm up there. Maybe it'll push some cow bass in if we're lucky. Even more glad I went on this excursion now
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I just saw the weather ......... 1-3inches rain each day ........ 20-30 mph winds gusting to 40 till Saturday with a cold front. Dr said I'd probably get pneumonia if I go so I give up .......... Ain't goin ........ Totally bummed!!!!!!

Comment

wowee! what a report. didn't I speak to when selling my old Torqeedo? at the time I thought you sounded wild. now I know you're totally insane (in a good way!) , we will call you fishing Jack Kerouac henceforth.

Comment

Working...
              X