Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP report 6/25 IRI 6/26

Saturday:

I put in near the CHSP pier Sat am with an outgoing tide. I fished the pier lightly as there were already 10 other kayaks in the pilings. There were a group of Amish people there, 4 men and 2 women, who were tearing up short flounder. The women were in full dresses and bonnets, which I would have worn myself I got so sunburned later in the day. At one point a gentleman on the pier decided it was a good idea to throw 2 ounce lead at the kayaks and did hit one of the Amish ladies kayaks without hurting her at all. Poor woman was scared and started crying, he started yelling. It was a proud moment when ALL the kayakers started came to her rescue. The Amish men exited their kayaks and confronted the man and his friends who quickly packed up and left.

Tired of the drama and crown, I left there and explored the Ferry jetty far side. I managed find a nice drift down the jetty wall and ended up landing 15 croaker to 13 inches, 3 flounder all short, countless spot, and the highlight of the day a 22 inch rock who took the blood worms on my light croaker rod. Unfortunately the rockfish have to measure 28 inches in Delaware...so it went back. The key was getting withing 15 feet of the rocks and none of the other boats could do that...it took a kayak. If i fish that wall again, I would put in at the Lewes public beach as it is only a 200 yard paddle from there. I lost track of time and managed to catch a severe sun burn in spite of the SPF 30 "Waterproof" sunblock i was coated in.

Sunday:

A family friend took my uncle and I out to float the IRI searching for keeper flounder. I was the only person there on such a beautiful day wearing long sleeves and long pants to stay out of the sun. We landed a total of 12, with 5 keepers to 21 inches. The only time we could find a "pattern" to the fish was on the southern outer wall beach side. There are a few spots where sand bars lay next to deep holes. The bigger flounder were in the holes from 24-35 feet and they would almost pull the rod out of your hands at times.

Spot/Croaker/Rock caught using blood worms on one ounce single hook bottom rig near the rocks to about 8 feet of water.

Flounder on 3/4 ounce jig heads and 4 inch white gulp shad jigged along drifts vertically to avoid hook up in the rocks.

Looks like the larger flounder have moved off shore mostly schoolie rockfish remain inshore as well. TONS OF SPOT and the croaker have shown up!

Nice report, thanks.

better lather yourself up with some aloe.

ive been wearing those long sleeve columbia breathable shirts...i swear they are cooler that wearing a normal shirt sleeve shirt
    sigpic

Comment

nice report thanks, some people are dicks and im glad they got a good talking too. i stay away from the open area but if some jackass tossed a lead at me he better be off rhe pier before i got on it i got my hobie because of those amish guys at the pier made it look to easy to fish with one and 1 wanted to sell me his outback. dont forget about roosevelt inlet and the canal very good fishing too also the inner wall but dont go alone

Comment

I am going back this weekend with the family and plan to fish a little. Where in the canal would you suggest besides the R inlet?

J

Comment

flip to the docks and drift the channel edges, i usually drift up one side then paddle back on the other. water clarity makes a big difference there. right across from the ramp is a good place to start very good fishing there then the cove where the creek empties into the inlet.wish i was going but its going to be a zoo, good luck!

Comment

very nice report...some ppl are just ASSHOLES, one of the reasons for getting into kayak fishing.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I fish IRI a decent amount. Did you put in at the Ramp at the Marina and head out the inlet to the South Wall? Most of the time I fish the coast guard station rips, tog, flounder and rock usually there, as well as shad and blues. Also I know the beach right by the station has been closed. Is it still or back open? Nice report

Comment

DHMJD,

TO be clear...when i fished the inlet I was with a family friend in their 21 foot CC and we drifted all the usual drifts picking off 1 or 2 on each location. We fished the inlet HARD for about 6 hours. The only time the bite was "hot" was against the south wall beach side about 30 yards from the end of the jetty...right on the beach. The shore fisherman were catching keeper flounder there and we got on the bite too in about 25-35 feet of water. Landed 5 fish, 3 keepers in about 10 min there. I would imagine the bite is hot different places, different times.

"bubblegum" beach, the beach next to the coast guard station is not open...looks like they dug out some of the sandbags and dredged some there.

Tog season opens July 1. Let me know if you want to plan a day Toggin trip as I have yet to land one and I could use all the help I can get!

Jason

Comment

togging is very good at the inner wall at CHSP, i know a couple guys that yak out and spear fish there also Doug they were getting some sheepshead last year too

Comment

Working...
                  X