Zanzibar, Tanzania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zanzibar, Tanzania

I'm overseas and haven't posted in awhile but it looks like its been a good summer on the bay!

I've been traveling all over Africa for work since March and decided to make Zanzibar my base. I've been busy but I've gotten out fishing a handful of times. Thought you guys might like to see what this place is all about. Sportfishing here is still relatively new (except for trolling which we refuse to do) so I found a handful of diehards to go out with and we are all slowly learning the area. The learning curve for this island is damn near vertical. It is surrounded by a barrier reef that is dry on low-tide. Getting past it in a kayak is doable but can be treacherous on windy days. Some days if the tied is right we can walk out two hours before low-tide and fish until two hours after high tide. If we wait any longer we'd have to swim the two miles back to shore. The drop off on the other side is 60m (180ft). It makes for an interesting dynamic as its possible to probably catch a tuna with your feet planted on the reef. So far we have been bitten off A LOT and we have lost many more fish than we have caught. We have seen kingfish in the surf here and GT's are prevalent. These pictures are a snippet of the stuff we've been doing. I'll gather more pictures of other species if anyone is interested.

Watch out for the sea urchin minefield!

Reef at low tide

www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Looks gnarly walking through that reef! I'm glad to see you're doing well over there and getting some time to fish!! Let me know if you need anything shipped out there.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

That's really awesome bro! Thanks so K check for sharing!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Ken,
        good to see you're getting on some new waters. you're taking wade fishing to a new level...... stay safe and have fun.

Comment

That's sounds awesome! Keep the pictures coming!

What is the first fish?
          Brian

Comment

Wow! I can only imagine the stories behind these pics. awesome.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Redfish,

I'll be home in december and I think I can make do until then. Shipping is prohibitively expensive. It costs somewhere around $250 to ship a $100 rod. Thanks though! Maybe we can get out and do some cold water stuff when I get back.

Also, wanted to add if you were curious, the Spinfisher V's have performed awesomely. The guys had Stella 10000's and some Daiwa saltists and saltigas. None has dealt with the saltwater exposure as well as the Spinfishers which come at a fraction of the price. I'm sure routine maintenance would help but its damn near impossible to do that after each trip out here. Sometimes there's no fresh water for days.

Slobber Bob,

That fish is a jobfish. They come in a ton of varieties. That one is about 15lbs but they get much bigger. Honestly, I'm surprised they aren't extinct. It is BY FAR the best tasting fish in the ocean. Extremely versatile, tons of flavor, perfect firmness, etc. If you ever see it for sale BUY IT.
              Last edited by kanvery; 09-25-2015, 07:12 AM.
              www.anglerswithoutborders.com
              Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Cool pix & nice fish!

Comment

This is awesome man! I love seeing stuff like this
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

whoa, wait till december!!! have fun guys!
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Man that's sweet! The pics are beautiful!! I'd love an experience like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X