Saturday Upper Potomac Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Upper Potomac Report

It was a splendid morning to be on the river. I stuck with the Pop-R for several hours and landed about 8. Had one bigger one come off after it swam into a clump of star grass. Got to my favorite ledge with deep water near by and lost two other bigger smallies on spinner baits when they became airborne. Saw a whole lot of big suckers and monster carp suspending mid-river in one section. I also spooked a couple of walleyes to my surprise. I called it a wrap around 11AM and paddled back up to the Jeep.

Nice! Glad to hear the walleye are around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Two buddies and I floated from Brunswick to Point of Rocks and did OK, all were small though. We started the morning with tiny torpedoes then switched later to plastics. The water was just too low and clear for my liking but it was still nice to be out on such a great day.
      Randy Lemmons
      12' Ascend
      17' Center Console

Comment

Nice Tom!
        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

When looking into the water from above, what do the walleyes look like. My son was fishing in the deeper pool where Catoctin Creek comes into the Potomac on Friday. The water was crystal clear, and he saw several nice sized fish hanging with what looked like white pectoral fins swimming together. He said they weren't carp but he didn't know what they were. Anyone know what they might have been?

Comment

Walleyes are longer than smallies. The ones I saw had reflective eyes as I spooked them off and they swam away.
            Your son might have seen a school of suckers. I ran into a big school of carp and suckers all just chilling out suspended in the middle of the river about 10 feet past a ledge. The carp were bigger and thicker. The suckers were longer and thin.

Comment

Maybe the walleye was a sauger? I think I caught one a few years ago on the northern branch of the Potomac.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I don't think we have saugers up this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Zack
                Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                X