Sheepless in OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheepless in OC

No matter what I try, I can't seem to shake the sheepshead skunk off me this summer. I caught 1 back in July and since then I just can't seem to find one. It's been very frustrating. Most recently I've tried about 4 times here and there as I had time over the last couple weeks. I've checked every nook and cranny all along the jetty and over the submerged portion. This time last year the bite was on fire, not so much now.

I could probably fill a dumpster with all the 6" - 8" sea bass I've caught the last few trips. A couple croakers here and there and a toad thrown in for good measure. The only saving grace is you'll occasionally pick up a drum (most around 33").

I'm not giving up on sheep yet, but I sure hope the bite picks up later this month. I miss their fight

Brian

Beautiful redfish. I hooked two of them this morning in Tampa Bay, but only got the smaller one (18") to the kayak.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's a nice looking redfish, still just a bucket list fish for me...someday, someday.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

In fish math, one big drum equals many sheep. Sorry no sheep, but that drum is an awfully good consolation prize.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          In fish math, one big drum equals many sheep. Sorry no sheep, but that drum is an awfully good consolation prize.
          That made me chuckle.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Been some good reports on the 'red's' this last month down your way glad you hooked with them.
            Hope you get out to enjoy some of the great bluegrass playing in Berlin this weekend after fishing.. and there is also the festival at Castaways.
            Be cool to go out at Castaways... bring home fish.. and jam on the bluegrass.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
              Don't get me wrong, I'll take drum all day long if they want to hit. I wouldn't complain about that one bit... But I'm jonesing for some sheepshead action. There is just something about the fight of a good sheep that I find hard to match with other fish I can reasonably catch locally. Plus, they are darn tasty!

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
              Been some good reports on the 'red's' this last month down your way glad you hooked with them.
              Hope you get out to enjoy some of the great bluegrass playing in Berlin this weekend after fishing.. and there is also the festival at Castaways.
              Be cool to go out at Castaways... bring home fish.. and jam on the bluegrass.
              You know... I only fished back there once all summer. I should have gone more. I love fishing those flats listening to live music in the evenings!

And I didn't know Castaways let you launch there. I thought it was for registered guests only?
              Brian

Comment

And redfish, John? You must be down south if you're calling them that
                Brian

Comment

Only been using fleas or have you tried switching the baits up? Kinda looked like that asian couple that was catching the last time I was there was using fiddlers. I caught mine right in the froth the last time with a fishfinder rig and only an 1/8 ounce egg sinker, all on the outgoing as well. Good luck

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                  No matter what I try, I can't seem to shake the sheepshead skunk off me this summer. I caught 1 back in July and since then I just can't seem to find one. It's been very frustrating. Most recently I've tried about 4 times here and there as I had time over the last couple weeks. I've checked every nook and cranny all along the jetty and over the submerged portion. This time last year the bite was on fire, not so much now.

I could probably fill a dumpster with all the 6" - 8" sea bass I've caught the last few trips. A couple croakers here and there and a toad thrown in for good measure. The only saving grace is you'll occasionally pick up a drum (most around 33").

I'm not giving up on sheep yet, but I sure hope the bite picks up later this month. I miss their fight

Comment

Nice drum! I just had blackened Redfish for dinner here in SC last night... Hope to make it over to OC or DE in two weeks, hopefully we can meet up....
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                      Only been using fleas or have you tried switching the baits up? Kinda looked like that asian couple that was catching the last time I was there was using fiddlers. I caught mine right in the froth the last time with a fishfinder rig and only an 1/8 ounce egg sinker, all on the outgoing as well. Good luck
                      I've been primarily using fleas, but I've tried some jetty crabs when the tide was right for finding them and I also tried some hard sooks I had in the freezer. A buddy brought peelers out once and got one on it and a bunch of drum. I'm not spending money on bait though.

I don't know why I didn't use it earlier, but when I saw you with the fish finder rig, I was like... duh! That's the way to go for casting up into the rocks or if you're not going to anchor. Its saved me mucho bucks in lead weights so far - especially off the tip. I still like the a traditional tog rig when anchored though. The tip is so much nicer now that boat traffic is 3/4 of what it used to be!

On another note for anybody going there anytime soon.

I was there this morning for a few hours before I had to go into work (sebass and puffers again ) and the dredge crew that's been working behind Assateague all summer was moving into the inlet. I'm not sure if they are planning to dredge inside the inlet or not? But they were towing the big floating pipes into the inlet and anchoring it off to Assateague and the south jetty (the part west of the hump). Essentially they were blocking the entire shoreline. I found a spot where the pipe was sagging under the water to cross it so I could beach on Assateague to go dig fleas and the tug guys all started yelling at me. I just blew them off and continued on to go get bait. They didn't bother me when I left. Not sure what that will mean for fishing? Hopefully they won't be blocking off the jetty and working in that area.
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X