Striking Out At Backyard Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huntrava,

Regarding your steering issue, I have a 2012 Revo and the rudder control may be different from yours. However, last year the lever got hard to maneuver. I removed the lever and underneath the metal pin that connects to the lever was a rubber washer. That washer stops the pin from digging into the kayak's plastic. The washer had torn from use. I took the old washer to Ace Hardware and bought a same-sized replacement and a couple more that I now carry with me on the kayak as spares. The new washer solved my problem.

Again, I don't know if your setup is similar but I thought I would mention what I did.

In a related note, a few weeks ago I replaced my steering lever because after 3 years the rubber coating was failing. The lever still worked but it looked a little ratty. At the same time I added a steering knob to the new lever. What a nice addition! I used it for the first time at the CBKA tournament and it made steering a little easier.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

call delaware paddle sports
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
        That's funny Cowpokey. I'd love for them to "donate" time/effort, but we haven't gotten to that part yet since phone calls/emails are going unanswered. And I'm not averse to paying for service.

Maybe if I'd bought the kayak directly from Backyard Boats they'd give me the red carpet treatment, but again--we haven't gotten that far. They don't know me from Adam...maybe I did buy from them (for all they know)...so that doesn't seem like a valid excuse.
        I like how everyone is getting their panties in a twist over my comment(s), yet you haven't said anything about the very first suggestion in my reply. CALL THE DEALER YOU BOUGHT IT FROM!!! Solicit advice from them...they "owe" you that.

BYB doesn't owe you diddily, if you've never given them any business. They have given me superb service and correspondence; but I bought two kayaks from them. Dennis retired, he isn't there anymore...it wouldn't surprise me if they are a little behind the power curve since his departure.

Before you extend your hate, go back and read that first sentence of my original response.

FWIW, I'm guessing you bought the kayak second hand, which probably means no warranty. You want the kayak fixed by BYB, take it to them, they will fix it.
        Last edited by Cowpokey; 09-16-2015, 01:54 PM. Reason: in blue
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Striking Out At Backyard Boats

Hobie's 2 year warranty is tracked by age and serial number, not owner and this is transferrable. Doesn't matter if he bought from a dealer or not

source: Hobie's Director of Service.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=11&t=4176

And I wear manly panties thank you very much :-)
          Last edited by Dimo; 09-16-2015, 01:49 PM.
          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo View Post
            Hobie's 2 year warranty is tracked by age and serial number, not owner and this is transferrable. Doesn't matter if he bought from a dealer or not

Good to know, I didn't have the resources to efficiently look it up from the passenger seat of my buddy's truck coming back from lunch.

Just because it says "men's" on the package of banana hammocks, doesn't make a thong "manly".

LOL
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              I like how everyone is getting their panties in a twist over my comment(s), yet you haven't said anything about the very first suggestion in my reply. CALL THE DEALER YOU BOUGHT IT FROM!!! Solicit advice from them...they "owe" you that.

BYB doesn't owe you diddily, if you've never given them any business. They have given me superb service and correspondence; but I bought two kayaks from them. Dennis retired, he isn't there anymore...it wouldn't surprise me if they are a little behind the power curve since his departure.
              So if I take my Tacoma to another Toyota dealer for an oil change they shouldn't give me the time of day because I bought it from a different dealer or from a private seller? I was so annoyed with my local dealer because of their games with service I DROVE 2 HOURS TO DELAWARE to buy a 2015 revo from DPS and had a great experience with those guys. While they saved 30 minutes of helping me out with two incredibly small issues they lost out on thousands of dollars of business.
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                So if I take my Tacoma to another Toyota dealer for an oil change they shouldn't give me the time of day because I bought it from a different dealer or from a private seller? I was so annoyed with my local dealer because of their games with service I DROVE 2 HOURS TO DELAWARE to buy a 2015 revo from DPS and had a great experience with those guys. While they saved 30 minutes of helping me out with two incredibly small issues they lost out on thousands of dollars of business.
                Correct...you can only expect service from the dealer whose pocket you put money in. Do you call/email a random Toyota dealer soliciting free advice on how to fix "XYZ" on your Tocoma in your front yard? SMH...y'all are something else, everyone wants something for nothing in this thread...

Rather than resurrecting the the Lowrance thread; both threads were started with one sole purpose: To bitch about customer service and get others to feel sorry for them. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that don't sugar coat things, and tell everyone exactly what I think. I don't apologize for hurting anyone's feelings either...in person or from the keyboard.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

this is great to know. I always thought the warranty wasn't transferable.

Also related to BYB. I called the annapolis store once to replace a broken handle, covered by warranty. All they told me to do was come in and show the receipt (I bought from a different dealer), and was given a new handle. They did hassle me a little for buying it from somewhere else, but I can take it. Maybe it's a little different because it was a really obvious issue and easy to fix. Either way, it was quick. Sorry to hear your experience isn't going well.

Like somebody else said, if you want great customer server call Delaware Paddle Sports, and take a fishing trip to DE. This is what I do whenever I need some kayak gear.

Comment

Cowpokey, you seem like a hard guy to disappoint and I'm genuinely envious of your outlook on customer service.

It's worth pointing out that this thread jump started the warranty issue, and some outgoing BYB folks on this board figured out where the ball was dropped and sorted it out. Case closed.

To reiterate what I've already said in previous posts, the BYB staff have been professionals every time I've called. I have nothing negative to say aside from the difficulty getting a response from a tech, which in hindsight appears to be a genuine mistake. No harm, no foul. They have a solid reputation for a reason and I'm glad we got it figured out.
                    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    Garmin Echomap 93sv
                    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

So, BYB is taking care of you? Hope it was just an oversight/error. Sounds like everything got sorted out, so that's cool. See you on the water.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

FWIW visiting today I met and found Dan (the new owner of the Annapolis location to be a super cool guy. He helped me get set up for my last minute CBBT trip tomorrow -- even staying late after they had closed. While I had already bought my yak elsewhere, I look forward to supporting the business and even hangin' out there occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                          Cowpokey, you seem like a hard guy to disappoint and I'm genuinely envious of your outlook on customer service.
                          I've been thinking about this comment for a few hours. I'm a person that expects things to be "done right"; as a customer and a consumer. I'm also a person that expect my customers/consumers to get what they deserve/expect.

I hold on to my own values. I expect the best, and provide the best. Mediocrity is not an option.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Glad to hear you got it taken care of. I've always had good luck and great service at BYB.
                            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                            X