Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striking Out At Backyard Boats

Hey guys,

Here's another story inspired by the recent Lowrance customer service thread. I bought a 2014 PA12 earlier this year up in New Jersey and brought it down to VA. I'd heard only great things about Hobie. They make high-end stuff, and the customer service seems to be top-notch. Overall it's a great yak, and I feel like I got it for a great price. Everything was in mint condition, and to-date I've had only a single issue with it, which leads me to this story.

After a couple months of regular use--maybe twice a week--I noticed the rudder control handle was getting sloppy on one side. Whenever I twisted the handle it would turn at an awkward angle. Very wobbly. I realize this might seem like a small issue, but the rudder lines are all attached, and if the line is coming undone I could be in a tricky situation on the water without a working rudder.

Tried the normal fixes...tightened everything down. No good. When I checked out the inside of the rudder handle, it looked like a small, black plastic bushing was wearing out and little shavings were all over the rudder arm.

24 August - I called Backyard Boats to get some insight from the technician. The technician told me he hadn't heard about anything like this and "needed to see it." Rather than driving an hour each way, I volunteered to send him some pictures. He agreed and gave me the email address - sales@backyardboats.com .

25 August - I sent an email containing a video I captured of the issue.

No response.

27 August - I sent an email asking if anyone had received the email.

No response.

Early September - Called again twice. First time the technician wasn't in. The second time, the rep told me the technician I'd talked to was "up to his eyeballs" in work. He'd call me back.

No response.

I'm a guy who can take a hint.

Out of curiosity, I sent Backyard Boats an email to the same address asking if they had an item in stock...and received an answer in 39 minutes!!!

Edit: Backyard Boats followed up and resolved the issue. It was a genuine human error where correspondence with Hobie fell through and my issue was lost in the shuffle.
    Last edited by Huntrava; 09-16-2015, 06:11 PM. Reason: Feedback from BYB
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Ouch its really tough to find good service these days. I had TWO similar experiences with my local hobie dealer whom I no longer patronize. Didn't call me back, pretended they didn't know who I was in subsequent conversations, gave me a RIDICULOUS 2 week turnaround time for something that ultimately took me 30 minutes of work and an hour on the internet (surely should've taken them 10 minutes) etc. Some people will surely bash you for posting this but I think businesses have to be more aware of their customer service and that people will use the internet in its various forms to let others know the poor service they received.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I don't know the folks at Backyard Boats, but that type of customer service is abhorrent. I'd be looking for another Hobie dealer. I would also send a note to Hobie with all the detail you provided here. They should know exactly how their customers are treated by some of their dealers. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of nonsense.

I also don't accept "up to his eyeballs in work" as a valid excuse for crappy customer service. A lot of us work long and hard nowadays.

Comment

Wow sorry to hear this. I got my Yak in Annapolis from Dennis. I broke a rudder spring(my fault), called Dennis told him what the issue was. He found the parts in Va. I drove over to VA and Dan the new manager of Annapolis got the parts and repaired my Yak in 20 minutes no problem.

I had several small questions and issues over the course of the year with my Yak and they were all resolved in a timely manner.

Each time I called or emailed Dennis I got a response or call back. Hopefully Backyard reads this and gives you a call or email.
        Yak-67
        2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to have validation when you're feeling like you're getting jerked around.

I don't hold this against the people at BYB or even the company as a whole. Dennis is great, I've talked with him. They've been polite and friendly and answered every question I've had. I won't personally mention the service tech because that would be rude, and I still hope this is some kind of misunderstanding. Not that I'd take my kayak there for repairs at this point. It seems like most of this issue boils down to an issue with the service tech who isn't on the same page with the rest of the staff.

Even though my kayak is still under warranty, I'll just repair this myself like I should have done from the start.
          I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Try posting your issue on the Hobie forum. One of the reps should see it and they will try to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
              Try posting your issue on the Hobie forum. One of the reps should see it and they will try to help you out.
              Yeah ........ Good luck with that ......

Comment

One of the reps responded when I had a small issue with mine and sent parts to byb right away. I thought it might have been a design flaw on the new seat, but have not seen more complaints about it. I think the seat just got damaged in the shipping container somehow.

I think I read on here that Dan moved permanately to the other byb and the VA location is probably just going through some transition issues with him not being there. I had no problems dealing with the VA location in the past.
                Last edited by JohnE; 09-15-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Its funny you mention this issue. I have a similar thing going on with my rudder (2015 outback), where it will occasionally lift up slightly, losing true and steering straight will veer to the left. I correct it by pulling the down rudder handle to get it back in the water. Not sure if a design issue or if there is a mechanism broken / missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo View Post
                    Its funny you mention this issue. I have a similar thing going on with my rudder (2015 outback), where it will occasionally lift up slightly, losing true and steering straight will veer to the left. I correct it by pulling the down rudder handle to get it back in the water. Not sure if a design issue or if there is a mechanism broken / missing.

How tight do you set the rudder cable? You might be just leaving too much slack. Try pulling it very tight next time and see if steers better.

I have a slight issue with my steering knob catching on the grab handle lately myself.

Comment

Will do

-Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Call the dealer you bought it from. BYB doesn't have much incentive to help you when you bought it two/three states away. Keep your business local and you have a better chance of getting help "local". Just because they are a Hobie dealer, doesn't mean they are obligated to donate time/effort. I'm sure they'd help you with warranty work if you took it to the shop though.
                        Last edited by Cowpokey; 09-16-2015, 08:55 AM.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          Call the dealer you bought it from. BYB doesn't have much incentive to help you when you bought it two/three states away. Keep your business local and you have a better chance of getting help "local". Just because they are a Hobie dealer, doesn't mean they are obligated to donate time/effort. I'm sure they'd help you with warranty work if you took it to the shop though.
                          That's funny Cowpokey. I'd love for them to "donate" time/effort, but we haven't gotten to that part yet since phone calls/emails are going unanswered. And I'm not averse to paying for service.

Maybe if I'd bought the kayak directly from Backyard Boats they'd give me the red carpet treatment, but again--we haven't gotten that far. They don't know me from Adam...maybe I did buy from them (for all they know)...so that doesn't seem like a valid excuse.
                          I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                            Maybe if I'd bought the kayak directly from Backyard Boats they'd give me the red carpet treatment, but again--we haven't gotten that far. They don't know me from Adam...maybe I did buy from them (for all they know)...so that doesn't seem like a valid excuse.
                            Based on what you described, I think you'd still be striking out if you bought the boat from them. Plain and simple...it's just shitty customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              *sigh* Big nope. The incentive is financial either 1) from Hobie for approved warranty service claims or 2) from the consumer should they pay for service in the absence of #1. Not counting accessory sales ($$$$$$), mod services, 2nd or replacement kayak sales down the line.

Plus, it's good friggin' business to pick up the phone and just give some advice, the company misses out on either if they don't.
                              Last edited by Dimo; 09-16-2015, 10:16 AM. Reason: clarity
                              -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Working...
                              X