Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheepie, Bull Red, Black Drum, Spadefish & Flounder (CBBT, Sep 12, 2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheepie, Bull Red, Black Drum, Spadefish & Flounder (CBBT, Sep 12, 2015)

Yes,
    Efrin, John and I, we caught them all.

My goal was catching one trophy sheepshead and catching flounder for dinner. I bought 3 DZ of fiddler crab at Ocean East and launched at 6:10 AM. I caught numerous toadfish, black sea bass before landing a black drum on fiddler crab. Around 10:30 AM, I landed a 25" sheepshead. After releasing the sheepshead, I fished for flounder mainly. My flounder rig was a 2 OZ white bucktail + 3.5-4" white Gulp Swimming Mullet as usual. I usually use a teaser about a 1-1.5' above the white bucktail. I like 5" white Gulp Swimming Mullet on a 5/0 hook as the teaser. This is my go-to flounder rig at CBBT. Though I ran out of 5" white Gulp Swimming Mullet quickly on Saturday. So I used 3.5 - 5' chartreuse Gulp Swimming Mullet for the teaser.

Over the years, my friend discovered that the same flounder rig and the same flounder fishing technique are also deadly for the fall bull red. So hooking up some bull reds while flounder fishing was very expected. The only problem I had with my flounder rig was that I only brought a spool of 20# test mono. I should have brought 40-50# test for possible bull red. (Fortunately I prepared sheepshead rig with 40# test mono at home.) The first bull red snapped the leader immediately. I was careful with the second bull red.

Thunder storm was expected. Yes it came fiercely. Otherwise, I wouldn't stop fishing.

My two GoPro were acting up again during the fishing. GoPro didn't start recording videos, and stopped in the middle of recording. So I lost some good footage.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-14-2015, 04:57 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

You guys killed it! Nice going! And hell to the no with that storm. That looks pretty snotty.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

With dozens of fiddlers my target was sheepshead, but it didn't turn that way.

Most of my time was spent hanging fiddlers....but when I did do some jigging, I had pretty good action.

During the morning I had a big hook-up. I knew it was a bull. It was the strongest bull I had hooked (I caught five previously). At one point it spooled all the braid and I was down to the mono backing (I had only 10 yds of mono!) At another point, it went around the concrete pillar and I thought it would be a goner; I did a quick turn around and manage to keep the fight on. John saw me fight the fish and came by with his video.

After about 20 minutes, I landed it. At 51 inches, it's the largest I've caught so far.

In the afternoon I hooked up with another big pull while jigging a bucktail. It kind of felt like a bull, but I knew it wasn't. Turned out to be a shark which I promptly cut off near yak side.

Total catch of the day:
      - Bull red 51" (1)
      - Shark (1)
      - Flounder (2 keepers: 21.5" and 18")
      - Puffer fish (1)
      - Croaker up to 15" (half dozen)
      - Grouper (1)
      - BSB (half dozen)
      - Toads (half dozen)
      - Lizard fish (1)

Joe and John also had good catches. Good fishing with you guys: ComeOnFish and JohnE .

At 6 pm I saw a thunderstorm at a distance, but I kept on fishing. Then I heard Joe yell out that it was time go. While Joe was putting away his equipment he drifted over a hundred yards from the bridge. I stayed under the bridge for protection. The T-storm came and it was bad. Winds were high. The waves and chops were up. Current was stronger. Rain came down hard; it was a white-out. I couldn't see Joe. I was quite concerned (I even thought about using my marine radio for a mayday). After the storm cleared, I looked for Joe. I could not see him as I scanned offshore. I thought the storm took him out further. I was a bit worried. After a few minutes, I hear Joe yell out my name. Boy, I was relieved. He managed to plow through the storm and was already near shore.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tufnik; 09-13-2015, 10:29 AM.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Not sure I follow, Joe. Why did she slam the brakes? And how does that relate? She's a grouper?

BTW, congrats on your first sheep catch from a yak; a citation too!

Comment

Dang I'm sad I didn't get to go.

Let do it next Sunday!!

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            Not sure I follow, Joe. Why did she slam the brakes? And how does that relate? She's a grouper?
            I deleted the post instead of explaining.

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

The fishing log

Here is the fishing log:

I also updated the first post with the video.
              Joe

Comment

Congratulations on the sheepshead Joe!!!
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Gee, am surprised you hang and jig 2-3 ounces on that Tescata, Joe. It's way too mushy for me even on 1-ounce. Apparently it works well for you since you catch good fish. Did the 2nd Tescata catch fish?

Dave,
                  If there's a chance, I'd fish Sunday one of these days. But generally I can't because of family activities.

Oh, Joe. Do you think the T-storm was pay-back for the fish we caught? ...lol...

Can anyone tell what kind of shark it was?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Glad you guys survived the storms. I was surf fishing on Assateague and had a few waves roll through during the course of the day, including one that dropped two water spouts out over the ocean in front of me.

I'd guess you probably had a sandbar shark, but some of them you really need to compare subtle differences like fin location and skin keels to tell them apart. It can be tough unless you have them out of the water sometimes.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      Gee, am surprised you hang and jig 2-3 ounces on that Tescata, Joe. It's way too mushy for me even on 1-ounce. Apparently it works well for you since you catch good fish. Did the 2nd Tescata catch fish?

Dave,
                      If there's a chance, I'd fish Sunday one of these days. But generally I can't because of family activities.

Oh, Joe. Do you think the T-storm was pay-back for the fish we caught? ...lol...

Can anyone tell what kind of shark it was?
                      Sometimes I put a 4 OZ sinker (for tog/sheep) when the current is strong. 3 OZ is OK but 4 OZ is little too much for Tescata in the deep water.
                      I think 2.5 OZ is the maximum bucktail weight for Jigging for flounder. It is hard to twitch (I am not sure it is the right word) the rod tip constantly because the sinker bounces at a slower speed.

I set the second Tescata for spadefish. But I forgot about it since we were having fun catching flounder and red.

Dave I will fish this Sun. Let's be there around 5 AM.

I think SloberBob is right. It is a sandbar shark.

I don't think it was pay-back because lightening didn't hit us. But it was a good warning because we usually aren't close to the shore. I had waterproof pants and jacket on. So I wasn't cold that time. But I started worrying about hypothermia when I couldn't see a thing for a long time - even though I knew I am moving toward the shore based on wind and wave directions that time.

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-15-2015, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X