Rod to match my Battle II 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod to match my Battle II 2000

One of the casualties of the CBKF event was I broke my lightest rod and I need a replacement. I am seeking advice. I have the Penn Battle II reel. I would love a new St Croix Avid, but there is no way I can afford it. I might be able to pull off a Tidemaster, but that is a stretch as well..

I want to he rod for perch and light jigging for Rocks so sensitivity with some backbone are desired. Can anyone help me narrow the myriad of choices?
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

i love my Bass Pro extreme rod with my battle reel

i also really like my temple fork outfitters rod for 99$

the st croix premeir are a tad heavier but they are very nice as well
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

What kind of budget are you looking at for the rod?

On a $40 budget, my picks would be Berkley Lighting Rod for sensitivity, or Ugly Stik GX2 for trolling. Depending on which you anticipate doing more. I mostly troll with 3000 size reels, so the GX2 rods are my pick, I have a Fierce, a pair of Battle II and a Spinfisher on those rods.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

If you can swing $100 go for the St Croix Mojo Bass 6'8" M Extra Fast. It's a great rod for light jigging and not overkill for specs/perch/lmb.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          What kind of budget are you looking at for the rod?

On a $40 budget, my picks would be Berkley Lighting Rod for sensitivity, or Ugly Stik GX2 for trolling. Depending on which you anticipate doing more. I mostly troll with 3000 size reels, so the GX2 rods are my pick, I have a Fierce, a pair of Battle II and a Spinfisher on those rods.
          I am willing to spend $100 (MAYBE a little more) since I anticipate this being a my go to rod. If I could score a great rod for less that wouldn't be a bad thing though. I am already set up on the trolling side with 3000 and 4000 as my primary rigs.

Will the berkley handle some light weight trolling (i.e. 1/8 weighted book / paddle tail). I will defiantly check out the Mojo as well
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I have several Lightning Rods; mostly for freshwater light and UL fishing. I do have a medium heavy LR with a baitcasting reel that I use for trolling the bay, but since sensitivity isn't really needed for that, the GX2 are my preferred trolling rod.

Since you have a $100 budget, I'd go with something nice that also has a lifetime replacement warranty. I don't have any of those quality rods in my conventional arsenal, so I'll let other folks guide you down that path.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I broke my Penn Battle II/2000 combo as well on a CNR earlier in the year and replaced it with a Ugly Stik GX2 Elite - really nice rod for the price had a coupon and it was $35 at Sports Authority. Felt very good yesterday.

Comment

Bruce,

Nice meeting you yesterday. Congratulations on your catches in trying conditions.

Check Bass Pro. Last week I purchased a 7 foot medium action thin handled Bionic Blade for $80 that has the action and feel I like and is light weight. I carried it yesterday but never touched it so I cannot address its action with a fish on the line. There was a medium light version on the rack that may fit your needs. The one I purchased feels a lot like my favorite St. Croix and Lamiglas rods in my hand. I think we don't always have to buy high end to get a serviceable rod. I hope that is the case with my newest.

I was also impressed with several Browning and Shimano rods at Bass pro that ranged from $50 to $100.

Good luck,
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've never had any of these rods, but in the "bargain room" at st. Croix's website, they seem to be clearing out last year's Mojo Bass and Rage rods for $89 with free shipping and a free hat. The Mojo (was 109)has SCII graphite and the Rage (was $150) is SCIII. Looks like they're both made in Mexico and have 5 year warranties. The rage has a funky neoprene handle and micro guides. For the Mojo, they have the MBS68MXF and the MB70MF. For the Rage, they have RS610MXF, RS68MXF, and the RS71MF. They're all rated for 6-12 lb line. Don't know if this is heavier than what you're looking for. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by farleybob View Post
                    I've never had any of these rods, but in the "bargain room" at st. Croix's website, they seem to be clearing out last year's Mojo Bass and Rage rods for $89 with free shipping and a free hat. The Mojo (was 109)has SCII graphite and the Rage (was $150) is SCIII. Looks like they're both made in Mexico and have 5 year warranties. The rage has a funky neoprene handle and micro guides. For the Mojo, they have the MBS68MXF and the MB70MF. For the Rage, they have RS610MXF, RS68MXF, and the RS71MF. They're all rated for 6-12 lb line. Don't know if this is heavier than what you're looking for. Good luck.
                    Thanks for the tips farleybob and Redfish12 (and everyone else)!! Just placed the order with St Croix. $89 is a great price!

Unfortunately, it won't get here before my trip north, but I can make due in the short term
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Working...
                    X