Succesful Float trip from Dam 4 to Shepherdstown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Succesful Float trip from Dam 4 to Shepherdstown

Putting this up late but better than never.

Put in at Dam 4 on memorial day and planned to make the 12 mile trek to Shepherdstown. Water was reeeaaaally low and I ended up walking my kayak the first 100 yards or so. Once I got out past the shallow stuff though the river (for the most part of the way) was calm enough that I was able to stand up on my kayak for most of the ride. This paired with the SUPER clear water made for a really cool day. I saw just about every species that part of the Potomac has to offer. The water clarity was easily around 6'. I learned a lot about where these fish are holding right now. Saw big channel cats, carp, lots of smallmouths, a decent amount of largemouths, and let me tell you about the suckers....

MASSIVE schools of BIG suckers. Lots of suckers around 24". I'm assuming they're getting squirreley with the water getting a little cooler. I was kinda bummed I didn't have any tackle to target these guys as I could have had a lot of fun the whole way down the river. They were scattered throughout the whole stretch of water. But I left all my smaller tackle home because I had another species to target.

As many of you know I'm obsessed with muskies. I've never actually seen one in person, only my brother has while he was out on the water a year or so ago. I know I've put well over 100 hours (hard hours) on the water looking for these fish. But on Monday I finally took a big step in the right direction of landing my first one.

I was on an undisclosed ;-) section of the river when I noticed I was once again practically on top of a school of suckers. It's no secret muskies love suckers so I figured I'd start throwing around some spots of the river that looked like good ambush spots. First cast I throw out my giant muskie lure and start ripping it back, when out of the depths pops out a GIANT! And I mean giant. Homeboy was easily 40", more than likely a few inches above. He follows my lure all the way to the boat and I start figure 8ing. He loses interest in my lure and instead just gets almost right below my kayak and stares at me.

He was so close to my boat I could have poked him with my foot. And he just sat there for about 10 seconds. I was shaking like crazy, I've never even come close to getting this excited on the water about a fish. Not my shark, not my brothers cobia, nothing notta has even come close to getting me as pumped. I lobbed my lure out again and tried burning it by him but he wasn't having any of that. It was almost like he got bored. He turned away from the kayak and I slowly watched him disappear into the abyss as I was spouting every curse word in the book while I was fiddling around trying to get my lure back in the water. But he was long gone.

It was honestly a little eerie how shy such a big fish wasn't. I know it's silly but I really didn't want to put my feet back in the water after that for a little bit. I stayed at that spot for about an hour trying to get another follow but couldn't manage one. I eventually continued on and paddled back to Shepherdstown. I ended up being on the water for about 8 hours. Would have been a lot longer if I didn't straight paddle the last 5 miles. It was getting dark and I started hauling butt to get to the boat ramp.

All in all I consider the trip to be a huge success. I didn't land a fish, but I finally feel I'm pointed in the right direction. My goal is to have one in the boat before Christmas.
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Awesome story and I love your perseverance. Your day will come soon and thanks for sharing that a giant lurks out there somewhere.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice follow! Pursuing muskies from a kayak seems extremely physically demanding, especially when you're casting 3 oz lures all day and paddling with a current. Are you casting large bucktails for them? I'd imagine the larger double blade bucktails create enough drag to pull your kayak somewhat.
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Yea I have a few inline spinners I throw. Biggest musky I know of this year out of the Potomac up around where I'm at was actually caught on a tube. And yea they do get heavy. I basically use a 8' surf rod loaded with 65lb power pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zack
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

What's also helped is having a kayak I can stand up in easily now. My ocean kayak was a little sketch to stand up and especially throw lures out of. With my new fs12t I have no problem heaving lures while standing up. Really adds a lot of distance to my casts.

Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Have you tried for them in Burke Lake?
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

No I've heard of them in there though. Lots of stories of guys going crappie fishing and having a Muskie t-bone a fish they're reeling in. I know what I'd use for bait

I've only fished the Shenandoah and Potomac

Zack
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I was in the canoe with my younger brother the day he caught his first (and only) muskie.

We were floating down a small river in WV that was no more than 25 or 30 feet wide at best and narrower in some places. We could see bottom (no deeper than 3 feet anywhere we fished).

He was using a Mepps#2 spinner with gray squirrel hair on the treble hook. We were fishing, for anything, but usually catch bass and red eyes with that bait. Sometimes a sucker or blue gill.

That muskie hit that little spinner bait and turned the canoe all around before I got the net on it. As I heaved it over the side into the canoe the bottom of his net self destructed and I had a long seriously flopping fish with big teeth between my feet. I hollered at him to get his butt back there and get his fish. Eventually I caught an opportunity to get first one foot, then both feet on it and got the chain stringer in it.

I tried to talk him into going back to the truck (we could still see it) but he just knew we might catch another one, so he wanted to just keep fishing. I kept trying to talk him into going back to the truck but he wouldn't do it. Every so often that muskie would take off and drag the canoe sideways, or backwards, or which ever direction he wanted to go. After a bit, it hit me that we hadn't got jerked around for awhile and I pulled the stringer up to take a look at the muskie. NO muskie. You know the place on a chain stringer where the swivel point is located? The chain has separated there due to the strength of the muskie pulling on it.

He had a piece of electrical tape wrapped around his pole 36" from the handle (36" was the minimum legal length at the time) and the fish looked to be about 3" longer than the minimum length, or about 39" long. And it was gone. I know how disappointed he was and all I could do was to tell him that the next time I said let's go back to the truck and put it in the ice chest, we ought to go back to the truck and put the big fish in the ice chest.

He never caught another one. He fished that river, that stretch of the river, many times after that and caught all the usual fish we'd catch, but never caught another muskie.

I had one on while dragging a crappie jig behind the boat one day on a big clear lake near home. Got it to the boat 3 times, got it into the net twice but could not get it picked up without it sliding out of the net. The third time the hook on the crappie jig caught on the net on the way in and the fish shook his head and jerked the little hook out of his lip. I know what you mean by nervous. My left leg twitched for 5 or 10 minutes after that fight was over.

You never know what a fish is going to hit. Sometimes even really big fish hit tiny lures. Or really small fish his big lures.

Comment

Nice man I'm still waiting to see my first river yak musky. The river I fish up here has some but they are really rare and I've never seen anyone fishing for them. I fished for them quite a bit in the spring with no action and am planning on starting again soon as the air temps drop. What time of day did you see it? What were the weather conditions like?
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

It was sunny and in the middle of the day. You can catch them year around though. I know guys who have caught them in December and January. It's just like everyone on here told me way back when I was looking for the secret to catching muskies. No secret just gotta put that time in lol. I've been going for almost two years now after em.

Zack
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Working...
                    X