Lowrance Customer Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
    You're absolutely right. Often times I connected them with my eyes closed; a pin the tail on the donkey approach if you will.
    Come on, man. Dropping it in the water or stepping on it and expecting it to work would be an unreasonable expectation, but breaking a pin after slowly and carefully connecting the cable to the unit is not an unreasonably expectation. I don't really know or care what mil-spec connectors are; I just expect a better designed and more reliable port.
    That's a "the customer is always right" approach. I've been in the electronics engineering/integration/installation/maintenance/repair line of work for 25+ years...the better we design systems to make them user proof, the better user is found to prove us wrong. I crafted my response not to intentionally insult you...but your response is clearly aimed at disputing how the best we can design anything is "idiot resistant".

My guess, a pin was bent before the mating connector even came to make contact, and you pushed when the "key" lined up, which bent the pin even more and caused it to break. I'll try not sugar coating my response when you point out how poorly they designed this and failed to make it "RavensDfense PROOF".
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

You're absolutely right. Often times I connected them with my eyes closed; a pin the tail on the donkey approach if you will.

Come on, guy. Get a clue and don't incinuate that I do not take care of my gear. Dropping it in the water or stepping on it and expecting it to work would be an unreasonable expectation, but breaking a pin after slowly and carefully connecting the cable to the unit is not an unreasonably expectation. I don't really know or care what mil-spec connectors are; I just expect a better designed and more reliable port.
      This is why quoting the post you're responding to is important....people go back and edit their response for more than grammatical, spelling or punctuation.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Yeah, the more I thought about your impulsive, uninformed response, the more it pissed me off. I thought I needed to more clearly spell it out so you didn't confuse it. And just to further clarify, the pin was partially still connected in the female outlet when I inspected it, meaning it broke off at some point when I removed it; not when I subjected it to a "RavensDfense" level of abuse. I realize it's tough for you not to comment on a thread, but just keep it to yourself until you know the details.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I received a response from Lowrance this morning. Although I am not 100% percent satisfied that they do not realize the problem with the pins as being a legitimate concern for kayak anglers, I think their offer of an Elite 5 Chirp combo at a significant discounted price is fair given the circumstances. Am I happy I have to pay $175 to replace something I already purchased a year ago...not at all. Am I excited to receive a better unit for around half off what it would cost me to by new....I suppose. I couldn't replace it with another brand of equal quality for that price. I still feel it is a shame more companies do not stand more strongly behind their products. Below is the response I received.
          Last year, my Elite 4 DSI died after about 10 months. It was still under warranty, so I made a warranty claim, expecting Lowrance to replace the unit with a new one. They offered me a "refurbished" Elite 4 DSI for free, or, for around $100, an Elite 5 CHIRP. I chose door #2 and paid the $100. I wasn't happy at the time, but I like the upgraded unit a lot better than my old one. I agree that paying $175 is a lot given that the unit was only a year old, but just know that it's not much worse than what Lowrance has offered some whose broken units were still under warranty.
          Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
            Last year, my Elite 4 DSI died after about 10 months. It was still under warranty, so I made a warranty claim, expecting Lowrance to replace the unit with a new one. They offered me a "refurbished" Elite 4 DSI for free, or, for around $100, an Elite 5 CHIRP. I chose door #2 and paid the $100. I wasn't happy at the time, but I like the upgraded unit a lot better than my old one. I agree that paying $175 is a lot given that the unit was only a year old, but just know that it's not much worse than what Lowrance has offered some whose broken units were still under warranty
            Thank you for that. That makes me feel a little better. I'm glad to hear you like the elite 5 chirp because I was a little unsure I needed that big of a unit. Does it have two wires attached to the unit like the HDI or one like the DSI?

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thank you for that. That makes me feel a little better. I'm glad to hear you like the elite 5 chirp because I was a little unsure I needed that big of a unit. Does it have two wires attached to the unit like the HDI or one like the DSI?
              Two wires, which unfortunately for me, means double the pins. With some effort, however, I was able to fit both wires through a single Hobie thru-hull fitting.
              Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Yeah, the more I thought about your impulsive, uninformed response, the more it pissed me off. I thought I needed to more clearly spell it out so you didn't confuse it. And just to further clarify, the pin was partially still connected in the female outlet when I inspected it, meaning it broke off at some point when I removed it; not when I subjected it to a "RavensDfense" level of abuse. I realize it's tough for you not to comment on a thread, but just keep it to yourself until you know the details.
                I agree 100%. My response was well though out. You ham fisted the connector, and broke it. Cursing is generally the first approach by people that can't put an argument together with anything to back up their side of why the product failed because it wasn't idiot proof.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

My "mpulsive, uninformed response" comes from those 25+ years of dealing with "customers" that should have qualified technicians keeping the user away from anything other than looking at the screen and (if well supervised) using nobs and/or buttons.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

...I realize it's tough for you not to comment on a thread, but just keep it to yourself until you know the details.
                    Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                      Haha.
                      I comment more than most. My downfall is attempting to add something useful to the conversation.

Edit add: Did you have anything useful to this subject?
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        I comment more than most. My downfall is attempting to add something useful to the conversation.

Edit add: Did you have anything useful to this subject?
                        Nope, sure didn't. Kinda like you.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                          Nope, sure didn't. Kinda like you.
                          I'm only posting to add nothing to the thread again...I'm happy you side with the OP; he needs all the support he can get when mean people like me side with the manufacturer because putting a round peg in a round hole is still a lofty concept.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

My downfall is attempting to add something useful to the conversation.
                            At least you recognize where you went wrong. The first step is recognizing the problem. Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to an otherwise useful thread. I am a little disappointed that in your 25+ years of experience dealing with electronics that you can't include a solution to the "square pin in a round hole"'issue to your list of ingenious "designs". Once I receive the new unit I am sure it is only a matter of time before I make the same idiotic mistake. I'll shoot you a PM for technical support.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

...I'm happy you side with the OP...
                              Hey genius, I didn't side with anyone, on anything. I never said anything about anyone being wrong or right. I didn't question your industry leading, infinite wisdom on the subject. I merely posted a quote because I thought it was funny. That's all.

As for the broken pin, I'm sure there's a reason as to why it broke. However, I was not there. I didn't inspect the unit prior to the breaking of the pin. Nor did I see how the cable was installed. So I'll take the man at his word.

Oh, companies do have faulty product that gets out. Take GM for example. Must've been the end users fault too, I suppose.

Comment

I see what both of you are attempting do...it brings an important quote to mind.

"Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." —Greg King

If this was a battle of wits; you are unarmed. Have a nice day.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X