ESVA Speckled and Striper Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESVA Speckled and Striper Day

I fished a favorite speckled trout spot today for the first time this year...the speckled have just not shown up in enough numbers for me to make the trip up to now. But with an under the radar report from my local bait and tackle shop I decided it was time. The report was "spot on". Large numbers of speckled are finally here, however they are all dinks. I must have caught at least 25-30 of my little buddies all under 11". The silver lining is that we should definitely have some keepers next year if they can make it through the winter. They hit everything I offered...red/gold medal flake 4" BA, smoke flake, and white/pink curly tail. The real fun of the day came when I encountered a large school of quality stripers chasing a big school of dink specks. I had 5 doubles on, and three other times, as soon as the lure hit the water, I was on before I could put the rod in the holder. The stripers were busting the speckled as I was reeling them in, and chasing them all the way to the yak. It was so fast and furious that I stopped taking photos and just dealt with releasing healthy fish. My guess is that I caught over 25 stripers today, and at least 12 were 20-25". Sure I was hoping for a stray large speckled (especially with the CCA tournament coming soon), but maybe they are on the way. In any case, I had one of my most enjoyable day's fishing ever, so I thought I would share

Striper1.jpg
    Last edited by Hemingway; 09-09-2015, 04:48 PM.

That's a memorable day, indeed.

Congratulations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That striper is a pig!
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
        That striper is a pig!
        Yup, all the fish in this school were thick as bricks and super aggressive. Hope they stay around until the Virginia season opens back up...released a lot of nice fillets lol

Comment

Whoop whoop! Good going man. Wish I could have joined you.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Good report. Those fast catching days help to make up for ones with bad weather or a tough bite.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Good report. Those fast catching days help to make up for ones with bad weather or a tough bite.
              John, your are so right about that. It was really cool to experience that quality of fishery for a change! We are so lucky to live where we do!

Comment

Just to verify the CCA tourney is the 19-20th not this weekend. Still another week for the specks to show up.
                I also had the same report of all small specks this past weekend while prefishing down near crisfield for the tournament.
                Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                I fished a favorite speckled trout spot today for the first time this year...the speckled have just not shown up in enough numbers for me to make the trip up to now. But with an under the radar report from my local bait and tackle shop I decided it was time. The report was "spot on". Large numbers of speckled are finally here, however they are all dinks. I must have caught at least 25-30 of my little buddies all under 11". The silver lining is that we should definitely have some keepers next year if they can make it through the winter. They hit everything I offered...red/gold medal flake 4" BA, smoke flake, and white/pink curly tail. The real fun of the day came when I encountered a large school of quality stripers chasing a big school of dink specks. I had 5 doubles on, and three other times, as soon as the lure hit the water, I was on before I could put the rod in the holder. The stripers were busting the speckled as I was reeling them in, and chasing them all the way to the yak. It was so fast and furious that I stopped taking photos and just dealt with releasing healthy fish. My guess is that I caught over 25 stripers today, and at least 12 were 20-25". Sure I was hoping for a stray large speckled (especially with the CCA tournament this weekend), but maybe they are on the way. In any case, I had one of my most enjoyable day's fishing ever, so I thought I would share

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17007[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks Matt, I should have checked my calendar when I was writing this post after a long day on the water lol The dinks do seem to be showing up in numbers a lot of places. Now we just need some of the big girls to follow them in.

Comment

Sounds like you had a busy day. Nicely done!

Lots of dinks is encouraging news too. It's sure better then no specks around at all!
                    Brian

Comment

That's the kind of report we like to hear about! Thanks for sharing.

Nice to also know that the specks are rebounding after last winter
                      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X