Permanent rod tip repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent rod tip repair?

I have finally broken my first rod tip. Rolled up my rear window on it, then opened the door without noticing it.

I want to repair it, but most of the kits that I am seeing seem to be for temporary repair. A little googling seems to indicate that many people seem to use these "temporary" kits for years and years without issue.

Can anyone weigh in on this topic?
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Over the years, I have repaired many rods that had several inches broken off the tip. This changes the action somewhat, making the rod a bit stiffer than before. I either salvage the rod tip from the broken part (heat the tip to soften the glue, then pull it off with pliers) or find a new rod tip that matches the diameter closely. A while back I bought a package of assorted rod tip sizes and have worked my way through most of those.

Regarding gluing on the new tip (there was a Snaggedline thread about this not too long ago) many people use a glue with a low melting point. It is easy to heat it to soften the glue and reposition the tip. I choose to use some type of glue that I have on my workbench (often it will be Gorilla glue or Goop). I smear some glue on the end of the rod, insert the tip, and let it dry. You can wipe up any excess glue once the tip is in the correct place. With the glues I use, it is not possible to loosen the glue and move the rod tip around, but I don't feel any need to do that anyway.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the info John. I think I will try a permanent fix myself. The rod isn't nice enough to send out for repair but nice enough that I want to fix it. Fortunately mine is broken right at the tip guide so I will only lose ~1/2" of length.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Most commercial and custom built rods fishing rod have the tip guide glued on with hot glue. then a thread wrap up to that tip. The tip guide takes the most abuse on a fishing rod. Why not hot glue it that way next time the tip guide is damaged you can replace it without cutting off an inch or more of the rod. If you can not find the right tip try Versitex.com or mudhole.com for repair parts and video instructions

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-...amaged-Tip-Top

Comment

I like fuji tips and use 5 minute epoxy. This fix will last. They make them in a range of sizes, so you should be able to find one that fits. I have bought them before at Dick's sporting goods.

Comment

One of my favorite fly rods is two inches shorter than its stated and original length. Ironically I broke the tip while “carefully” putting it away. I thought it was ruined. But a new guide glued onto the tip put it back in service. It’s a good thing that such a simple solution can put a favored rod back into action. The suggestions cited in this threat are well advised. Don’t give up on a rod with a broken tip. It has lots of life left.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you havent replaced the tip yet, i can fix it for you and have the rod look back to its original condition. If your close enough to me we wont have to deal with shipping
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                Most commercial and custom built rods fishing rod have the tip guide glued on with hot glue. then a thread wrap up to that tip. The tip guide takes the most abuse on a fishing rod. Why not hot glue it that way next time the tip guide is damaged you can replace it without cutting off an inch or more of the rod. If you can not find the right tip try Versitex.com or mudhole.com for repair parts and video instructions

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-...amaged-Tip-Top
                Thank you for stating that. We don't always replace the rod tip guide because the rod tip broke. I replace the rod tip guide many times because I damaged the rod tip guides by stepping on them or scratching against the concrete.

I use a small hot glue gun ($1.99) and glue sticks from walmart.

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                  If you havent replaced the tip yet, i can fix it for you and have the rod look back to its original condition. If your close enough to me we wont have to deal with shipping
                  I couldn't find the correct size rod tip, so I did a tempory fix with the smallest tip I could find. It worked fine, until it broke this past week. However, this time, I was not as upset, as it broke for a better reason.

But yes, I would be interested in a permanent repair. Shoot me a PM and we can talk. I am about to go out of town for the week, but could meet up next weekend to deliver it.
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Here is why you don't ever epoxy a rod tip. While unloading today to go fishing My fishing rod slipped from my hand and the tip landed on the pavement. it looked ok but when I pulled out some line the tip cut the line. On closer inspection the ceramic was cracked. When I got home tonight I replaced the tip guide. The repair took maybe a 2 minutes. The repair is exactly the same as the factory did it. If it was epoxied you would have to cut it off with a Rotary tool and will most likely overheat it and damage the rod blank.

IMG_1504.jpg

Comment

You can epoxy a rod tip and remove it without cutting the blank if you need to replace that tip again.
                      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                      X