Advice for around Edwards Ferry on the Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for around Edwards Ferry on the Potomac

Last Sunday a friend and I put in at Seneca Creek and didn't catch anything worth writing about. We heard from a more experienced angler that Edwards Ferry has some good fishing. So we were thinking about going over there this weekend and I was hoping to get some advice on lures or techniques for the area. Also if anyone wants to join we'll be putting in at Edwards Ferry Sunday at 7 a.m. at the latest. We're always looking for some experienced anglers to give pointers and new fishing buddies.

This time of year the water is typically low and gin clear making for tough fishing. Once the sun gets up the fish will migrate to shade along the banks. I've had success throwing white buzz baits and 4 - 5" Senkos into shade. You need to throw inches from the bank. If you can find a deeper hole try a tube bait on a lighter (1/8 or 1/4 ounce) jig head. Purple and green pumpkin are two reliable colors. Finally, when all else fails you can try a 4" grub on the same jig head as the grub and swim it through any eddies you can find.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      This time of year the water is typically low and gin clear making for tough fishing. Once the sun gets up the fish will migrate to shade along the banks. I've had success throwing white buzz baits and 4 - 5" Senkos into shade. You need to throw inches from the bank. If you can find a deeper hole try a tube bait on a lighter (1/8 or 1/4 ounce) jig head. Purple and green pumpkin are two reliable colors. Finally, when all else fails you can try a 4" grub on the same jig head as the grub and swim it through any eddies you can find.
      Awesome! Thank you. I've never had a whole lot of luck with buzz baits but I'm definitely gonna give it a shot. Do you think getting there earlier than 7 would be better?

Comment

Originally posted by Green_missle View Post
        Awesome! Thank you. I've never had a whole lot of luck with buzz baits but I'm definitely gonna give it a shot. Do you think getting there earlier than 7 would be better?
        I'm a big believer in first light. I'd be there at 6.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I'll probably be out there too. But coming from Goose Creek. I'll be testing out a new outboard I put on my Wavewalk. I was out there briefly last weekend. The water is clear and averages about 3ft. Grass mats are all over. Fishing in between the grass works for me. Also any place with lots of submerged rocks. A bit down river by Lansdowne there is still a stretch of 6ft+ water.

Fire tiger crankbaits are my go-to.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            I'm a big believer in first light. I'd be there at 6.

Thanks for the advice. It was definitely was a tough day on the fish front. We got out there around 5:45 and we got out on the water before the sun came up. The water seemed warmer than last week! I got one decent sized fish on a green pumpkin chatterbait. It looked like a largemouth as it threw the hook right next to my yak :/ My buddy caught a couple cats. There were a few more bites throughout the day but nothing more. I think this week we're gonna hit up Black Hills or Rocky Gorge.

Comment

Working...
            X