Looking for a Lowrance ff/gps for my new Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Lowrance ff/gps for my new Hobie Outback

It was only a matter of time when I was going to hang up the paddle on the side of the kayak.
    My 2 Wavewalk 500s have been v good to me. However, I wanted a pedal yak to not only exercise my legs but to keep my hands free for casting & for longer trips in rougher water. Additionally, I needed a yak that would work w/ my existing vehicle & rack. I ruled out the Hobie Mirage Sport & the Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 10( both nice yaks) for not being long enough. I took a good look @ a near-mint used NW Slayer 13
    & I wanted it badly but I couldnt get it to work for me due to its weight. But dang, it has gear tracks all over it. Perhaps, if I had a different vehicle that would of been a no-brainer for me. After fishing w/ friends who use this yak & the Outback I knew it would be one or the other when the time was right. Then, something told me to look @ Delaware Paddlesports fb page. I did & I noticed their demo Outback was available again so I contacted Brian & the rest is history. I just picked it up plus a couple other items( thanks Chris), took it out for a lil 3-hr moonlight pedal on the Nanticoke River, in Seaford, Delaware. Didnt catch any fish but I did hook into something big that got off twice & never showed itself. I'm thinking snapping turtle not ray. Anyways, now I need a ff/gps. I had always fished naked(ie, w/o a ff). I'm looking for a Lowrance... used is ok...& battery? I wish to track mileage too. Suggestions? I may need help hooking it up. Thx for reading this.

congrats on your purchase!!! I'm sure most on here will recommend a lowrance because they match up well for install purposes with the Hobies.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Congrats! It was just a matter of time. I have a Lowrance Elite 5 if interested PM me.

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
        Anyways, now I need a ff/gps. I had always fished naked(ie, w/o a ff). I'm looking for a Lowrance... used is ok...& battery?
        It's called fishing "blind". Nobody wants an image of another dude kayak fishing nekid haunting their brain.

Elite-4 or Elite-5 are good units, I have one of each. For a battery, get a 9ah, 12vdc like what are used in ups units or fios as battery back up. Those batteries will also fit in the Hobie battery tray that can be mounted to the sailing mast or in the rear 8" hatch.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

For my Outback, I have the Elite-4HDI with 12v mounted to sailing mast and it is working out great.
          Michael
          Washington, DC
          Hobie Outback

Comment

If you watch you may find a deal on a new Lowrance. West marine had them on sale & Lowrance had a nice rebate but it ended july 5. They usually have a couple a year. lowrance does now (for a while) have a free year on insight updates. I have the Elite 4 CHIRP. Very easy to install on hobies. http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/specialoffers/
            Red 2015 Hobie Outback
            Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Welcome to the hobie club! I bought my 2015 revo from the guys at DPS they're a great little shop. I have an Elite 4 I got discounted when the newer Chirp units were coming out and really like it. Don't know if those deals are still around but its worth searching a little on the internets.
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

So WhenICan, you finally bit the bullet and got your peddle yak...congrats!

Comment

I have the Elite 5 HDI for my outback and love it. These things are a bit of a power hog though. Recent experience says that a standard UB1270 SLA battery (12V, 7 AHrs) will last 6 hours, and then the unit will shut down.

Comment

Working...
                  X