Crazy excitement then....wawawaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy excitement then....wawawaw

So i made the decision on what new rod to get today....went and got a penn battle II combo. put 15 pound braid on it and then tied a large rooster tail to it and figured i better go on my pier and try it out. very first cast WAMMO the line is peeling off faster than i can imagine. I'm thinking at first i don't have my drag set right but for sure it was good and snug. about one minute into the fight the fish comes half way out the water about 50 yards off and i realize its a solid 15 pound striper. (I've caught 20 pounders over on the west coast so no naysayers please).... i fight it for several minutes more before she comes to the pier and gives up. but as all things go in my life, as i lean down to grab the line to hoist her up to the pier (maybe 5 feet) she makes one more huge flop and throws the lure!!! my neighbor was watching the battle and she almost cried with me. i fell to the dock and dropped my head looking at the water as if it weren't possible... I must say this rod and reel for sure was worth the price and i'll be getting another soon. now i'm going to eat a tub of ice-cream and some sleeping pills. haha
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Sorry for your loss....

Glad you like the rig. I love mine!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Bruce, i love it and it was exacty in my price range. i'm sure ill be happy with it for years to come. thanks for the advice. i held a bunch of different rigs, but that one felt the most balanced with a soft tip for small baits yet enough backbone to land decent fish, although i didn't plan on it doing well on a large fish like this was.
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I love the combo too... i have the 2000 with 15lb braid on it... the rod however broke to a CNR... darn you CNR!!

Comment

when i woke up this morning there was a boil so i caught a few keeper stripers and then it all stopped quickly. i started looking around and sure enough them darn rays came into the pier. they sure know how to kill a bite. I've never hooked one. every time i see them near or chasing my bait i real fast. i wonder if they taste good. i know i ate bat rays on the west coast and they tasted good. the combo i got is the 2000 one as well and i stripped the mono off and put 15 pound braid as well.
          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
            put 15 pound braid on it...a solid 15 pound striper.
            Hmm, 15 pound braid and a 15 pound fish, coincidence - I think not. I feel for you, that bass I lost still haunts me.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike, the line didn't break, it threw the lure. however yes, if i had heavier line and rod i could of swung it onto the pier. it was all a fluke hooking it anyways. the tide was all wrong. i didn't catch any others with it. she was a solitary cruiser for sure..
              Rich

Comment

You got to fight the fish and touching the leader is as good as landing, right? That class of fish is better off getting released to keep the gene pool strong anyways
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

good way of looking at it Ryan... still woulda liked to have a photo.
                  Rich

Comment

Any striper over five pounds taste nasty anyway...big fish are too strong for my tastes- I don't like fishy tasting fish- some of my favorite eating fish are: medium size speckled trout- 2-5 pound flounder- cobia- (any size- delicious) 2-6 pound black sea bass- yummm...small red drum- 18-30 inches...medium catfish- 18-30 inches....and really big spot- 15 oz.-1 1/4 pounds- pound or so sea mullet (Northern whiting)...king mack steaks on the grill are pretty tasty, too as are most of the peglic offshore fish
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The only thing your missing fishinggod is a pic.

Nice catch... excellent release!

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Love my Penn Battle II's... I have the 3000 and 2500 and both have been drama free!

Sorry about the fish though!
                        - Justin
                        2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                        2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

I am old school...mostly use baitcasters- for small fish and ultra light spinning tackle is the only way to go- for big fish, it is a lot easier to control and fight big bruisers on conventional tackle- I prefer Shimano Stradic 2500 as an all around spinning reel for tossing light lures- 10# braid or 6# mono works fine for me- especially bottom fishing for bait for live lining...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm on the Battle II train also. I've got a 3000, 5000, and an 8000.
                            2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

I have a neighbor that Bow Fishes for them and swears by them. He makes fish cakes with the wings. Cut the wings off and skin them asap and put them on ice. No I haven't tried them myself but even his wife likes them!

eyedaddy

Comment

Working...
                              X