fishing rod/reel purchase opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishing rod/reel purchase opinions please

So I run all baitcasting gear right now. I want to get a few spinning rigs. one for perch and one for stripers. I feel I don't need two completely different rigs to do this. my plan is to get a bit lighter rod for the perch rig in order to cast smaller baits. I want to keep each setup around 100 bucks if possible. from all the searches I have done on here, I have come up with what I think sounds good. just want to get everyones opinion before I pull the trigger. don't want to be disappointed after the fact. for reels I was going to get two Penn Fierce 3000 reels. I figure they should be fine for both the lighter rod and the heavier rod. then I was going to get two shakespeare ugly stik inshore select rods. one in the 7ft medium light and the other in the 7ft medium. my experience in spinning gear is 0 for the past 15 years of doing nothing but bassfishing tournaments on the west coast. so any info you all got that would be amazing!
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

A 3000 series reel sounds large for a perch rod. I use 6' ultralights with 1000 series reels for perch and pickerel.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

ok. maybe I should actually go into bassproshops to handle different setups before purchasing online.
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

3000 size reel with medium or medium heavy rod for striper/blues/etc...and 20# braid, that set up will handle everything from perch to CNR. Targeting perch; I would go with John's advice and get something in a 1000 size reel and a light action rod.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

What everyone else has said pretty much hits the nail on the head. 3000 is overkill for perch. Get an UL setup you'll have more fun.

I feel like more and more guys are putting down their baitcasters for nice spinning outfits nowadays
          Zack
          Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
          "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I had been using my Penn 3000 Battle II combo for perch and wanted to go lighter. I bought another Battle II combo (2000), but wish I had gone even lighter.
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Bruce, ill check them out as well when I head north this week and hit bps. I never looked at the combos. I like the price that's for sure.
              Rich

Comment

Two springs ago I was among a bunch of fishermen lining the shores of the Susquehanna during the shad run. The current was running very fast and I felt a strong tug on my line.

I reeled in not a shad but a fishing rod!

It was a light spinning outfit with a Pflueger reel on a Shakespeare rod. It had been in the water for a while because the line was stripped from it and the reel had a nicks and scrapes on it. But otherwise it was in remarkably good condition.

I cleaned the combo and oiled the reel and it was (and remains) very smooth. I loaded it with 8 pound mono and I have caught a lot of perch with it.

I researched the components on-line and learned that the reel retailed for $29.95 and the rod for $19.95.

I have to admit I never would have bought it at that price thinking it wouldn't hold up. But it has. So for perch (and pickerel) I don't think you have to break the bank on tackle.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                  What everyone else has said pretty much hits the nail on the head. 3000 is overkill for perch. Get an UL setup you'll have more fun.

I feel like more and more guys are putting down their baitcasters for nice spinning outfits nowadays
                  I'll keep using my baitcaster, but I doubt I'll ever buy another one.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I just got two of these from Walmart. Micro Graphite Spinning Rod 6'-6" light for $17
                    http://www.walmart.com/ip/17474395?reviews_limit=9&

Save some money on the perch setup and put the extra toward your striper setup.

Find it to be a perfect size and sensitivity for perching. Has a little more backbone than it would appear and think it would handle small stripers if need be. Paired with a $20 Okuma size 20 reel, makes a nice setup.

I agree with the other comments, the heavier rods I was using for double duty, perch or striper, just took a little to much fun away and made it hard to cast small lures when going for perch. This one has hit a nice sweet spot, it can handle a ounce or so of weight for bottom fishing yet has enough whip to toss 1/8 oz. lures a good way.

If you do decide on this one make sure to pick your size from the dropdown box. The listing is a little weird. It is titled Micro Graphite Spinning Rod, 4'6" yet you can pick your size. You should get a light weighted rod. The also sell this rod in a micro light series for about $20.

I also recommend Berkley Cherrwood rods as another low priced winner. Nice sensitivity and backbone for such a low rriced rod($20-$25). They have some nice sizes in the series for perch.

Comment

thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to head over to the local tackle shop to feel a bunch out. then go home and try to find them even cheaper online as i'm pretty sure i will be able to as the local shop is a bit expensive on most things.
                      Rich

Comment

I don't always buy shimano's.....but when I do I prefer the straidic. That having been said- I have various lower price point shimano reels that have all held up well. My favorite rod for perch is the Berkeley lightning 6,6 medium light which I got last year on close out for $32. Super sensitive rod, that can even handle a few bigger fish here and there.
                        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespear...Combo/23608430

^ $18 and I use this for shad, perch, bass, the whole nine yards. Here's a video of me getting American Shad with it

Zack
                          Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                          "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                          X