Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cbka tourney question.. To launch or not to launch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cbka tourney question.. To launch or not to launch?

First post to this site, I signed up for the tournament and planned on sleeping at camp wright, I have a pro angler 14 with heavy duty wheels... Am I gonna have problems launching? Not familiar with camp wright, I heard it's a long haul to the launch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome to the site. after reading your post, I read the info on the launch and realized im in the same boat as you... PA14 and heavy duty cart but not the beach wheels. so i'd love to see your question answered as well. I'm sure someone will answer. I haven't had a question yet that someone on here couldn't answer.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Welcome aboard They have a map with launch sites but I'm going to put in at SPSP. I also have a Pa14
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
        Welcome aboard They have a map with launch sites but I'm going to put in at SPSP. I also have a Pa14
        Great question. I'm new to the kayak fishing and also have a P.A. 14 and was wondering the same thing.
        daddyg were is SPSP, I don't see it on a map?
        Thanks ,
        Ron

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it stands for sandy point state park on the west side of the bay bridge but I haven't been there before.
          Rich
          Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

SPSP is indeed Sandy Point State Park.

Note also that those staying at Camp Wright do not have to launch there.

There are launch sites nearby on Kent Island.

http://www.parksnrec.org/directions-...blic-landings/

And this is directly from the CBKA site:

LAUNCH:

Launch shall be from the beach at Camp Wright or any publicly accessible kayak/canoe launch location in the following MD counties: Anne Arundel, Queen Anne's and Talbot.

For the Camp Wright launch a kayak – canoe cart is recommended, launch site is approximately 400 yards from tent/cabin area.

For any public launch sites participants are responsible for any ramp fees, park fees, access fees, etc.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I think i'm going to wait to decide my launch location until I can judge the direction of the winds the night before. pretty much what I do down south where I live as well. if it looks good at the bay then ill go there, if it is crap I may go to goodhands or somewhere else like SPSP.
              Rich

Comment

There will be plenty of people there to help you. The only bad part is the final 25 yard drag down a small slope and of course back up it. If you have the heavy duty wheels and somebody behind you helping push as you pull shouldn't be a problem even for a PA. But if you feel more comfortable matapeke is right down the street.

Comment

Thank you all for the answers and look forward to meeting some of you at the event..

Comment

Welcome all, historically, everyone with Proangler14 or larger kayaks like the Adventure Island by Hobie decided to launch from Sandy Point State Park or they launched from Matapeake, which is right next to the Camp Wright launch. Both Matapeake and Sandy Point involves launch fees. Matapeake is $10 I believe, and Sandy Point has an entrance fee and you will also have to pay the Bay Bridge Toll on your way back to Camp Wright for the Photo Weight In. It is recommended that you purchase a ramp pass on Friday from Anglers or Chesapeake OutDoors, which should be good for 24 hours when launching from Matapeake, because the machine that was there does not always work.

Comment

is there a toll booth when you cross it? never been. do I need a certain amount of coins or is this something that I have to have prepaid before crossing?
                      Rich

Comment

sorry Moc, I just google earthed it so I now know there is a toll booth. and I googled Anglers and its just before the bridge so ill stop in there. I'm sure I will end up spending money in that store anyways. haha
                        Rich

Comment

8 dollar toll, and 3 or 5 dollars entry at sandy point state park... SPSP has plenty of ramps, and power boats

Comment

The toll is only $4, unless you have a trailer, then it is $8, cash only.
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Although not a big and heavy as the PA, I've launched my outback from camp wright each year since this tourney started. Most of the drag is over flat grass field, if you have a semi decent cart its not bad. When you get to actual launching spot, there is a short relatively steep hill and a beach. It can be tiresome at the end of the day, but there are usually others around to help
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X