Wye River; Friday 8/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wye River; Friday 8/29

Due to a couple of cancelled appointments, I had a whole day to kill. I've had decent luck on the Wye from the Bennett Point launch and thought I'd give it a go for the first time this season.

Rods in water at 7:15 am, I started catching fish right away shoreline trolling upriver. Several stripers in the first 20 min up to 16 ". I was trolling an X-Rap and a 3/8 ounce white jig with a chartreuse Gulp. ALL action was on the jig. Further up not much later I boated a 22" keeper.

The am striper bite was off by @8:30, so I turned my attention to bottom fishing for perch with peeler. After a couple of piers, I finally found one with some perch. Reeled in an 18" striper bottom fishing under a pier for perch; go figure.

The pilings and bulkheading were loaded with crabs. After a quick bite and nap, I headed back to Sportsman's for a $10 crab net.

I launched again for Round 2 @4:00 pm. I proceeded to have so much fun trying to net crabs I put fishing on the back burner. Besides, I already had a keeper rock.

I have a sit inside yak so trot lining is not an option. But having a net in the yak is handy. After many misses, I finally figured out that the yak has to be moving when you dip, a little like trot lining. Sneaking up slowly doesn't work; their eyesight is just too good. I ended up with 5 big heavy dirty bottom jimmys and with family out of town; more than enough. These crabs were so hard, I had to use the channel lock on the claws to break 'em! Big molt coming shortly.

I barely made if off the water at sunset. Now I wish I had taken a photo of the moon rising over Wye Island. What a gorgeous river! image.jpg. image.jpg
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-29-2015, 10:44 AM.

Great report Steve. That Bennett Pt launch puts you in good water. It is a shame that it is not an easy launch for larger or heavier kayaks. The lighter ones, like yours, are ideal for those locations.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Great report Steve. That Bennett Pt launch puts you in good water. It is a shame that it is not an easy launch for larger or heavier kayaks. The lighter ones, like yours, are ideal for those locations.
      Thanks John! Could two guys carry the heavier S.O.T.'s to the tight beach area on the left? Just a thought.

I am sort of tempted to paddle across to Wye Island and set up a smokeless camp for a few days . They'd have to send a search party out to bring me back!

As is my routine, I chatted up a couple of the locals on the piers. They didn't care I was netting crabs off their pilings and bulkheads. Interesting what you find out. One guy says he wishes the Rouse development had been approved back in the 70's because Wye Island is eroding quickly. But the island is at least 2,500 acres. It'll be milenia before is disappears. By that logic, let's bulkhead/ develop the entire bay!
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-29-2015, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        Thanks John! Could two guys carry the heavier S.O.T.'s to the tight beach area on the left? Just a thought.
        Last Sept I launched my 11 ft SOT paddle-powered kayak there. The tide was low. I had to slide the kayak over the bulkhead from the parking lot to the upper edge of the beach. The beach was covered with seaweed and was sloppy to get through to the water's edge. I managed, but it was far from optimal.

There is another launch spot on the Wye that has a regular ramp -- Wye Landing. If you use a trailer, you need a Talbot Co. launch permit. That county does not require permits for launching vessels that do not use a trailer. I plan to launch from Wye Landing later in the fall to check out the area.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good to know. I was considering that launch at one point, but it seemed to be pretty far up river (East Branch) to have larger fish. Maybe it doesn't matter since it's all connected. I'll be interested to see how you do, or join up with you. Compared to Bennett Pt, it's only a three minute difference driving time, and no launch fee.

Comment

Steve,
            Where off Bennett Pt Rd. did you put in?
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
              Steve,
              Where off Bennett Pt Rd. did you put in?
              The street address is 200 Wye Ferry Rd. It's the last left before the Bennett Point Community.

The public launch link in the Main Forum has the physical street addresses and directions for all Maryland public launches.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/Boating/Pag...boatramps.aspx

Comment

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

fishinfool, can you launch at the bennetts point landing? I'm looking for a place to launch for a few hours of fishing Friday morning before the event on Sep11th. just looking to maximize my time up north fishing for the first time and want to fish different waters Friday Saturday and sunday so I can fish 3 new areas. any info would be awesome for that entire area.
                  Rich
                  Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

S
                    Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
                    fishinfool, can you launch at the bennetts point landing? I'm looking for a place to launch for a few hours of fishing Friday morning before the event on Sep11th. just looking to maximize my time up north fishing for the first time and want to fish different waters Friday Saturday and sunday so I can fish 3 new areas. any info would be awesome for that entire area.
                    I have a Pungo 120 SIT that weights 48 pounds. I've jury rigged it with PVC pipe in a stacked sawed off milk container for rod holders. Thankfully, I don't have a problem lifting and carrying it on my head over a shallow bulkhead to a sandy, seaweed laden beach.

I am not too familiar with how launching the heavier SOT's works involving carts etc. maybe John V could chime in further on the feasibility of launching 100 plus pound kayaks at that spot since he did it.

If it's not feasible there, Goodhands Creek is very close to Kent Narrows and has smaller creek and marsh type fishing. Just be aware of the ripping current in the Narrows, especially near the long breaker wall (which you can see from Rt 50 on your way to the Atlantic Beaches).

I tried the Narrows in my Pungo; too much work with just a paddle, a lot of snags on the bottom, and did I mention beaucoup boat traffic?
                    Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-29-2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info. can't wait to fish all these new spots
                      Rich
                      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

thanks for the info. can't wait to fish all these new spots
                        Without a FF and a yak not really safe for big water, I've become more focused on shoreline fishing. Just about any half decent habitat will have fish near shorelines.

After a few years of getting great advice from John and other guys, and trial and error, I've become a believer that early am and near sunset are the best times for shoreline fishing almost regardless of tide readings.

For whatever reason, fish come near the shore to feed at those times. I notice that even when taking walks near my house; I see rabbits and deer out at sunset almost every night feeding before nightfall.

Sunrise/sunset feeding seems to be a common thread among most creatures. Maybe fish can see their prey better in shallow water in low light conditions, and maybe their prey can't see their predators, making them an easy mark.
                        Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-29-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                          S

Maybe John V could chime in further on the feasibility of launching 100 plus pound kayaks at that spot since he did it.

If it's not feasible there, Goodhands Creek is very close to Kent Narrows and has smaller creek and marsh type fishing. Just be aware of the ripping current in the Narrows, especially near the long breaker wall (which you can see from Rt 50 on your way to the Atlantic Beaches).

I tried the Narrows in my Pungo; too much work with just a paddle, a lot of snags on the bottom, and did I mention beaucoup boat traffic?
                          Queen Annes County has several good launch ramps (suitable for heavy kayaks or trailered kayaks). There are also other water access points called landings. Typically these give a parking area and a beach or a docking area. But they are not good for heavy kayaks. The kayak I launched at Bennett Pt landing was about 60 lbs. Even at that weight, it took some effort to get it to the water. I would not recommend launching a PA 14 there.

Goodhands Creek, Shipping Creek, and Little Creek have launch ramps and put you into sheltered waters. The launch at Kent Narrows subjects you to strong currents for a few hundred yards, but after that you can find sheltered locations. It pays to know the tidal schedule and "ride the tides" north and south through the Narrows. Those would be better choices for a large kayak.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Thanks for the advice John V. after looking at all the waters you suggested I think goodhands is a great starting point.
                            Rich

Comment

...I think goodhands is a great starting point.
                              It's certainly one of my favorite local launches.

It offers protected shorelines and lots of interesting areas to explore. I've been there often and still have many new cuts, inlets and small bays to visit.

Plus it provides easy access to open waters if you care to pursue them.
                              Last edited by Mark; 08-30-2015, 07:48 AM.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X