Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Md / VA Reciprocal Licence Rules? Any and all tips for fishing lower bay late Sept.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Md / VA Reciprocal Licence Rules? Any and all tips for fishing lower bay late Sept.?

Have a couple questions and I am going to try to tap the deep wealth of knowledge here on Snaggeline.

Just made reservations for a late summer rental on the bay down on Virginia's eastern shore about half way between Chicoteague and Kiptopeake

Am I good to go with my Maryland Licence for both the bay and Ocean side?
    Saw some mention of a VA. FIP number being needed?

Been awhile since I have fished down there and I really don't recall having to do anything when fishing Chicoteague or Kiptopeake, but I may be wrong.

Some nice fishing base opportunities are opening up on sites like VRBO and AirBNB. Some nice fairly reasonable rentals down on the lower bay.

I'm super excited, able to leave the kayaks on the beach right outside the door. Place is right on the bay with plenty of inlets and structure around. Any and all tips are welcome.

I am heading to that area in a few days, but will fish from my center console. As long as you are fishing in Virginia tidal waters (ocean, bay, marshes) your Maryland tidal license will cover you. You also need to have the registration from the Virginia Marine Resources Commission. This is a free registration, but you should print out a copy and have it with you. You can get the registration at http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/FIP/.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

MD and VA are reciprocal. But you need to get on the VA VMRC website and get a free FIP if your fishing in VA with a MD license. Unlike MD they send you a reminder when it needs to be renewed. I have fished those areas a few times with success. There are a few others with a lot more experience in those areas, hope they respond as well. Tight Lines.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll get over and get the website and make sure I get the VA numbers.

Comment

Working...
        X