Radio Battery Not Holding Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Battery Not Holding Charge

Has anyone had issues with their Standard Horizon radios not holding a charge? I make sure it's set in the charger correctly and it won't switch over to the red light indicating it's charging - it stays on green, which indicates it's full charged. It charges to about one of two possible bars indicated on the radio. That one bar lasts about 20-30 minutes and then the radio is out of juice. I am thinking about taking it back to BPS, but wanted to know if anyone had experienced the same issue and how they mitigated it.

Thanks
    J

I have not had a problem with my battery on the HX-280 I got a year ago. But the charging cradle went bad...no idea how that happened. I had an extra cradle from the radio I sent to the bottom of Tridelphia the very first trip.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

My ICOM handheld VHF stopped charging after about 5-7 years. It turned out the rechargeable battery had just worn out. I bought a new battery -- problem solved.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Do you guys leave the radio in the charger cradle all the time? After I use one of my radios I only leave it in the charger 5 or 6 hours or overnight. I pull the radio out of the charger and it sits on my desk. I've had (2) HX270's for years and the batteries are still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
          Do you guys leave the radio in the charger cradle all the time? After I use one of my radios I only leave it in the charger 5 or 6 hours or overnight. I pull the radio out of the charger and it sits on my desk. I've had (2) HX270's for years and the batteries are still going strong.
          I don't. I put my radio on the charger the night before the trip, take it off as soon as it's full, and load it with the rest of my gear. After the trip, it stays charged at what ever level it was when I got off the water until it's time to charge for the next trip.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            I don't. I put my radio on the charger the night before the trip, take it off as soon as it's full, and load it with the rest of my gear. After the trip, it stays charged at what ever level it was when I got off the water until it's time to charge for the next trip.
            Makes sense...actually makes even more sense charging right before you use it...like you do. I like to have everything ready to roll for a trip beforehand. The past couple years have seen a lot of last minute trips because of my crazy business travel schedule. I do the same thing with my fishfinder batteries.

Comment

My FF battery(s) get charged the same way; night before the trip.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

So I purchased the radio this winter (2015), I only charge it the night before if it needs the extra juice. Sounds like I need to take it in. Love the radio, hope BPS can help out.
                J

Comment

I would definitely take it back and see what they say, especially since you bought it local. If BPS doesn't help you exchange it for a new one, contact Standard Horizon and get an RMA, they stand behind their products.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X