Severn 8/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn 8/28

Weather looks great tomorrow. Low wind and swinging tide (hi-lo) in the morning. Launching from Naval Station ramp (military access) around 6:30-ish. I'll be trolling around on 68 if anyone is out and I'll post on here after.
    J

Good luck. I trolled along the edges in the Severn this morning and caught no stripers. A few days ago, I caught six stripers trolling the same shorelines. I found perch in several tributaries. My only stripers today were a pair of 5" babies caught on a Bignose spinner while casting for perch.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Day started off beautiful and ended the same. On the water by 7:15 and caught my first striper (8") at about 7:20 in one of my first spots I usually check out. I trolled outward with three rods rigged with a paddle tail on a jig for two, and a Rattle Trap (RT) that I hot-rodded myself. The RT was on sale a few weeks ago at BPS in all white for two or three bucks I think. I thought for that price it might be fun to mess with it and paint the rear red and put some red dots on the underside. It has been a hot lure for me this summer with quite a few striper and it managed to pick up a 23.5" striper today. I was fishing blind without a fishfinder, but I've fished this area so frequently the past two years I feel like I know most of the points of interest by the back of my hand. The big one struck at about 8:00 with a few smaller blues before that. I caught it on my smallest rod and reel, which made for some fantastic light tackle action. This was my last day fishing before I head back to CO for another year with AmeriCorps and it felt great ending on my first keeper of the year! 0828151033.jpgG0152922.jpgGOPR2892.jpgGOPR2926.jpg
      J

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Good luck. I trolled along the edges in the Severn this morning and caught no stripers. A few days ago, I caught six stripers trolling the same shorelines. I found perch in several tributaries. My only stripers today were a pair of 5" babies caught on a Bignose spinner while casting for perch.
        Thanks John - day turned out great! I've had more success this year catching striper compared to perch, which was unusual for me. Completely fine with it though!
        J

Comment

Great catch. That 23.5" striper is the largest I have heard of from the Severn in a while.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X