FF problem / question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF problem / question

As I set out from Terrapin this afternoon, I was hoping to wrangle some Rockfish from the Sewer Pipe and then head up towards Love Pt. When I approached the end of the SP, I noticed that my FF had shut off and restarted. I checked the connections and continued to not find fish. It then did it several more times. I worked all the connections numerous times. Before it crapped out entirely, it started to go through a cycle of a dim start up screen, then a full power start up screen and then a brighter, but blank screen. Each phase lasting approximately 3 seconds each. After doing that for a minute or two, it gave up the ghost and I was fishing blind.

I opted to to forgo my trek north and just work the pilings at the CBB. Nothing came of my time there and I had my first skull in a long time.... I spoke to numerous other fisherman in the area who were all having the same luck I was - drinks or nothing

Has anyone had a similar experience with your electronics? It definitely seem like a power supply issue. I charged the battery this morning so it shouldn't be a low power issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Try to put new batter see how it work. And after that you will know FF no good or batter is no good. Find down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
    2014 Hobie Outback
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
    2nd PLACE
    Slam Division

Comment

Battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
      2014 Hobie Outback
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
      2nd PLACE
      Slam Division

Comment

As Ken notes, it could be a battery that is not properly charged. Also check for corrosion on the wire ends where they enter the spade clips. Or see if some strands of the wire have broken at the spade clip. Make sure the power cable is fully engaged in the back of the screen unit. The male end of the power cable has thin, bendable wires. You may have bent one or more of those.

If none of those things work, you may need to contact the vendor where you bought it or the manufacturer.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

wires or the battery in my opinion. a few weeks ago mine was doing the same thing. went home and the battery was dead. and then thats when i found my wall charger was melted on the side. so check battery charge and then wiring
          Rich
          Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Power is the first thing that pops up in my mind too. FF has a low voltage sensor built in, when it senses low power it turns itself off.

-Was the battery charged?

-When charged does it read proper voltage for what it was rated at when new?
            --A 12 Volt battery should read more than 12 VDC
            --If it reads less than 12 VDC
            ---+12VDC (only) not charged
            ---+10VDC bad cell, needs replacement
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
              thats when i found my wall charger was melted on the side....
              Which reminds me, I had a LiPo battery do the same thing once. Except the battery melted. Charging batteries seems like such a mundane activity, but it's surprisingly quite a fire hazard.
              I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              Garmin Echomap 93sv
              RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Had same problem. ...silver soldered my connectors. Problem solved. I think just crimping had weakened wires and strands broke or lost contact.
                Having the correct charger is important too. I called one of the online ' battery warehouse stores and told them what i was charging. They found me the right charger , which was surpisingly very cheap, and i have had no problem with burning up batteries since

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Agree with the battery my Fish finder had the same issue. I replaced the battery with a new one and it resolved the issue. Something also to note is the battery may read normal 12V+ right off the charger and not under load. I would put a multi meter on it while the fish finder is powered on and check the voltage across the battery and at the connector. Jiggle the wires as well and look for a voltage drop as well. I would try it out on the water as well when you are having the issue if possible.
                  Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

What everyone else said above. When this happened on mine it was due to low battery. I found out that the newer fish finder was drawing more power than my old one so the battery didn't last as long.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

I've run into the same issue. The strange thing on mine was my 12v battery was reading 8v on the fishfinder, but indicating low battery, then going through the phases you mentioned. Sadly tomorrow is my last day to fish until next summer (be in CO), so it wouldn't be worth buying a new battery at this point. Hope you're able to resolve it!
                      J

Comment

Recharged the battery.
                        Replaced terminal connectors.
                        Seems to work again! At least on my workbench...
                        Getting some liquid electrical tape to seal any gaps.

Thanks folks!! Any other tips to minimize corrosion on the wire terminals?
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post

Thanks folks!! Any other tips to minimize corrosion on the wire terminals?
                          silver solder, as i said before and i use automotive bulb grease on my plug recepticals
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

EMSER,
                            I think your charger is bad not the battery. Your charger is not charging the battery fully. I went through several chargers

joe
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Just throwing this out there, my charger is selectable for 6V and 12V... is yours like that? you didn't flip it to 6V by accident?
                              - Justin
                              2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                              2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Working...
                              X