Good day at Goodhands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good day at Goodhands

I put my orange 2014 Slayer Propel 13 up for sale a few weeks ago. I had not used it in a while and was looking to get a newer model. I have had a few lowball offers but no serious offers yet. I decided to use that kayak today. It is a good thing I did -- the kayak still has loads of fishing mojo left in it.

I launched from Goodhands Creek ramp about 6:45 am. On the Fly had already headed out. Whenican launched a bit later. I followed my usual path of trolling shorelines in 3-4 ft depth. The water level was already low and was dropping with an outgoing tide and a brisk breeze from the north. That meant that my preferred depth was much farther from the shoreline. The first 15 minutes was slow, then I found an area that produced double hookups on several passes. By the end of the hour, I had caught 15 stripers -- mostly small ones. I decided to move off and look elsewhere. I tried another one of my regular spots. I caught a few fish at first, then found a cluster of larger fish. In the next 45 minutes, I caught another 16 stripers in that area. I left there and headed to a third spot that had produced well at higher water levels. I caught another 6 stripers there -- not as good on low water as it is on high water.

I finished in 4 hours with 38 stripers (23", 20", three at 19", three at 17", and a bunch of smaller ones). Earlier in the summer I mentioned that I had bought some circle hook jigheads. I try to keep one rod with a circle hook jighead in the spread all the time. Today, that jighead with a paddletail caught several fish, including the 23" one.

After enjoying a morning in the Slayer Propel 13, I decided to take it off the market and continue using it. My take home lesson was that there are plenty of fish out there, but they are not everywhere. I had to investigate many small spots in several of my target locations before I could find them. Once I found them, I made a bunch of tight passes through the area and hooked up frequently.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Wow!

That's impressive.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sounds like an awesome day! Your boats mojo warrants the decision you made. Congrats and thanks for the report
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Hi John

I was wondering what your lures of choice are for trolling ?

I troll a lead head with a 3 or 4" paddle tail grub. I am thinking about switching to a tandem reg with 2 paddle tails. I only troll 2 rods most of the time.

Thanks

Comment

Typically I troll 4 rods. When fishing in relatively shallow water, I use jigheads from 3/8-oz to 1/2-oz. I use various paddletails in 3" to 4" during summer and fall -- slightly longer in the spring. You used the term "paddle tail grub". I think of a paddle tail and a grub as two different types of lures. See my reply today to Tom Lagana's post -- I have photos of the types of paddletails I use.

Other guys prefer to troll swimming plugs (Ratt-L Traps, X-Raps, and others). I rarely use hard plastic lures and do not have much experience. The key is finding a set of lures in which you have confidence.

When bluefish are around, many switch from standard plastics to bite-resistant plastics, like the Z-Man brand or to metal lures (swimming spoons like a Tony or small jigging spoons like a Crippled Herring, Hopkins, or Kastmaster).

I wrote a few weeks ago about a simple tandem rig I made. I used it about 5 times. Yesterday I caught fish on both of the lures, but not at the same time. The smaller lure seemed like the plastic was not on straight. As a result, it twirled and knotted up the line. Half way through the trip, I removed the small lure. In all the times I used the tandem, I caught only one double header on the troll. I had a few others when casting to structure.

I will use a teaser fly or small lure with a heavier lure, like a Stingsilver from now until late fall when I am jigging in deeper water. I probably will not use a tandem again when trolling. It was a fun experiment, but it did not really increase my catching.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, We are trolling about the same things. I did add a beetle spin to the mix today. landed 7 shorts on it and a 12" blue fish

Goodhands was good today 43 total stripers no keepers but 2 were close, and all the 12" blues you wanted by the wall.
            Last edited by plastic boat; 08-28-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear Goodhands is producing some fish - even if they are smaller. Last time I went there things were tough. I hope try again next Wednesday
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                Thanks, We are trolling about the same things. I did add a beetle spin to the mix today. landed 7 shorts on it and a 12" blue fish

Goodhands was good today 43 total stripers no keepers but 2 were close, and all the 12" blues you wanted by the wall.
                Thanks for the report. Goodhands was productive last year too from Aug - Oct too. I hope some larger fish move in.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                X