Martha,s Vineyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martha,s Vineyard

I have a trip planned for a week with 8 surf and Fly fishermen. Thinking about taking my Pro Anglers. Would appreciate any info you can give me on the fishing and Yaking.

Check out that New England kayak forum Redfish was talking about. Should be good shore fishing. My father in law lives on the cape, and there are some good places along there, but that doesn't help for the Vineyard.

Is this trip planned during the Derby?

Comment

It's during the Derby ........... Some of these guys are hardcore and float in wetsuits drifting eels out by the channel even with great whites around. The guy that invited me has a commercial license and REALLY knows how to fish the canal with hook and line. Sent me a pic with him and 15 Stripers well over 35 in. Each fishing at night. I'm definitely the novice with these guys. I'm thinking about taking the yaks and want some info. To decide

Comment

They use to have a big shark tournament there too. Not sure what happened to it.

My father in laws father in law has won the derby 2 or 3 times. Old man knows the island like no one else from shore.

Comment

When are you going? I will be up from Oct 3-11. I got a few albies from the yak last year but didn't do any night fishing for stripers as they just weren't around. I've fished the island for 1-2 weeks every year for the last 10 years and know it pretty well. Some great kayaking options for albies, bonito and stripers if they're there. The small tunas will be at the inlets mainly at dawn and dusk but also get locked into tide cycles usually when bait flushes out. My favorite inlets are Menemsha, Tashmoo and Big Bridge. All easy launches and both tuna species will be there if they're around. It is definitely worth bringing the kayak if for no other reason than to be able to chase breaking albies and bonito that get out of casting range from the jetties.

There is striper fishing to be done out front but its a little intense and I haven't tried it alone. Think big boulder fields, crashing surf and great whites. A half of a seal washed up on Squibnocket last year when I was there and there are always white sightings across Vineyard sound on the Cape. My favorite kayak striper spot is Menemsha pond. It has some ripping tide in spots but its relatively protected, has huge sandeel hatches and a lot of keeper bass willing to hit topwater in the mornings and evenings.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
            When are you going? I will be up from Oct 3-11. I got a few albies from the yak last year but didn't do any night fishing for stripers as they just weren't around. I've fished the island for 1-2 weeks every year for the last 10 years and know it pretty well. Some great kayaking options for albies, bonito and stripers if they're there. The small tunas will be at the inlets mainly at dawn and dusk but also get locked into tide cycles usually when bait flushes out. My favorite inlets are Menemsha, Tashmoo and Big Bridge. All easy launches and both tuna species will be there if they're around. It is definitely worth bringing the kayak if for no other reason than to be able to chase breaking albies and bonito that get out of casting range from the jetties.

There is striper fishing to be done out front but its a little intense and I haven't tried it alone. Think big boulder fields, crashing surf and great whites. A half of a seal washed up on Squibnocket last year when I was there and there are always white sightings across Vineyard sound on the Cape. My favorite kayak striper spot is Menemsha pond. It has some ripping tide in spots but its relatively protected, has huge sandeel hatches and a lot of keeper bass willing to hit topwater in the mornings and evenings.

Dang .......... I'll be there the week before you ........ but I might be able to stay a couple extra days ....... depending how tired I wll be and if I can find a room somewhere. Would LOVE to pick your brain about the island and what to expect. Sent you a PM. We are staying in a big house that is really nice ....... even has a sauna and a Jaccuzzi. Haven't communicated with most of the guys but 1 is a professional chef and another is a professional fly tier ........ buy professional I mean they sell there stuff to people and shops.

Anyway I just want to be prepared .......... would love to catch Albies ....... will be a first.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
              It's during the Derby ........... Some of these guys are hardcore and float in wetsuits drifting eels out by the channel even with great whites around. The guy that invited me has a commercial license and REALLY knows how to fish the canal with hook and line. Sent me a pic with him and 15 Stripers well over 35 in. Each fishing at night. I'm definitely the novice with these guys. I'm thinking about taking the yaks and want some info. To decide
              Read a really good book about the striper run a few years ago called "On the Run". A large part of the book was based in New England. Nothing on kayak fishing. All surf with wet suits at night and guys getting dragged around by 50 pound stripers. Nobody works during the Derby. Great read.

http://www.amazon.com/On-Run-Anglers.../dp/0060087463

Comment

I definitely agree ....... I have that book ....... Great read

Comment

Working...
                X