• Turbo Fins

Are they worth getting?

What kayak do you have?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Turbo fins will make your Revo fly. You'll be able to sustain a faster speed and travel a longer distance with fewer pedal strokes than you can with your present ST fins. The tradeoff is that each stroke will require slightly more energy from you because you will be displacing more water with the longer fins.

I have a Revo and I do not feel I need Turbo fins. I use ST fins. The Revo is a sleek boat that moves easily. I have no problem keeping up with my kayaking friends including those who paddle or pedal Turbos or Native Propels. I can sustain 3 to 4 MPH at a normal cadence that does not leave me winded. I can push that to 5 plus MPH for short bursts. I can go double digit miles on a typical trip without becoming exhausted. I'm 61 years-old.

Another reason I like the shorter ST fins over Turbos is that I frequently fish shallow water close to shorelines and structure. It's my preferred fishing style. While I can feather the fins in skinny water I'd rather take full strokes because they move the boat more efficiently.

Both fin types are good and each serves their purpose. Understand the tradeoffs and select the ones that are best for you and your fishing style.

Good luck,
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have a revo 13

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lagana View Post
          I have a revo 13
          So do I.

My answer above may be helpful to you.

If not, check out the Hobie Cat on-line forum. There are plenty of posts about Turbo fins from users.

Some have done statistical analyses comparing the performance of STs to Turbos.

Ultimately the choice comes down to how you use your Revo -- what you expect from it and your pedaling capabilities.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'd get them. They'll definitely benefit either a Revo or Outback, which are Hobie's most popular fishing platforms.

The only consideration is if you plan to do a lot of skinny water fishing. The stock fins are a little shorter, but equally if not more important, they are tougher than the Turbo fins.

I've got the long Turbos, not the ST.

Comment

I have an Outback and still currently use the ST fins and the standard rudder. I've made about 10-15 trips now with the boat and wanted to give the "standard" equipment a fair shake before deciding if I need an upgrade. Having demoed another 2015 Outback with turbo fins and the sailing rudder I believe, like Mark has already said, there are some pros and cons of each. I have also used a new Revo with turbo fins for comparison as well. If I were regularly going 10+ miles per day in either boat I would say the fins might be a good option, but fishing around here and most places I care to continue fishing, that is not the case for me. In big open water they might have an advantage, but I feel I would have no problem keeping up with anyone with turbo fins simply by peddling slightly faster. Doesn't matter to me if I'm putting in more force at a slower speed or less force at a faster speed, just as long as I get there. The only time I've thought that the turbo fins would have been a major improvement is getting caught in a strong head wind and trying to make it home. In this case the combination of a stronger stroke at a faster speed (which is obviously hard to do for any length of time) might have got me home a little easier overall. The ST fins are better in shallow water, put less stress on the mirage drive unit and hull (so I've read, makes logical sense), less prone to breaking/bending, and doesn't cost any extra money. I have every upgrade on my kayak that I wanted (not trying to sound arrogant just making a point), and still do not think I'll ever buy the turbo fins. Jury is still out on the rudder.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

If interested I have a brand new pair of ST fins that I would sell for $60. Let me know.

Comment

I've been trying out a buddies Revo 13 with turbo fins. It's a Ferrari for a fishing kayak. I have no experience with standard fins, but I think I will be going with turbo fins when I get my own. I just like being able to reach new areas to fish and putting in minimal effort for max output. It adds to the comfort of being on the water all day and enjoying yourself. When trolling or traveling with others you barely have to peddle. When cranking out a few miles or shooting across a windy flat the extra turbo fin resistance isn't bad at all. I would say the only down side is the longer length, but if I'm that shallow Im probably fluttering anyway.
                  Last edited by jsnyd86; 08-25-2015, 11:40 AM.
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

Turbo Fins

I used standard penguin fins for a year, regularly putting in 10+ miles a day. Standards are fine for the way I use the Outback; which is trolling from launch to landing. I tried turbo fins on the Bay for a few minutes, they do get the kayak moving, but I don't need them. The ST fins are better than penguin fins, and all I need on the new kayak too.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X