Rudee Inlet Sat 8/22/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudee Inlet Sat 8/22/15

Wind/waves were pretty bad at CBBT when I arrived, so Plan B was either Kipto or Rudee. I didn't hear about the bites at Kipto, but I hear about some nice flounder catches several weeks ago at Rudee. So, I went to Rudee. Fishing was pretty good in this protected area, in spite of the wind/waves. Catching sucked though. If not for a 12" toad, I would have been skunked. I talked to several other anglers; nobody caught flounder or other good fish like puppy drum.

In the afternoon, a Virginia Police boat came by and told boaters and I through a bull horn that we were not allowed to fish along the north jetty because of boat traffic. The police pointed to the open area south of the jetty, and we promptly moved to that area. Huh? Is that a new rule? So, boat/yak anglers are not allowed to fish along that lane next to the jetty anymore? Traffic was pretty thin that day; I guess because of the wind/sea conditions.

Oh, another thing. Traffic through HRBT and North I-95 Saturday afternoon/evening also sucked.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Thanks for the report Tufnik. I also live in Nova and was wondering what are you averaging travel time door to door to CBBT?

Comment

Cbbt today sucked. We launched at sunrise hoping it would lay down, but it never really did. Only trash fish for us.

The drive south late Sat evening was very smooth. Saw some traffic going opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
        Thanks for the report Tufnik. I also live in Nova and was wondering what are you averaging travel time door to door to CBBT?
        Normally, with good traffic, the one-way drive to CBBT takes me 3 hrs 45 min (includes 30-40 min total time for stops like gas, rest and bait). Add 15-20 min to Rudee.

John,
        Did you jig or hang bait? How was late Sunday afternoon traffic N-95?

Comment

Some jigging and some bait. I have fished there in rough conditions plenty of times, but this was just ridiculous. I wanted to fish for spades, but I seem to have a leak and had to turn back as soon as we hit 2nd sbc.

I would not like to try sunday afternoon traffic going north during tourist season.

Comment

I fished today at the jettie and there was no cops to tell us to go. Then again there was barely any traffic.

Caught a 18" flounder on the backseat of my friends jetski and then lost it when I put him in the cooler. I kid you not. He flopped from under the tacklebox in the cooler and uonthe wall with only about 1.5 inch opening.

Comment

That lucky fish....saw a small opportunity and flopped its way to freedom...lol...

Comment

He was feisty for sure. I should of brought my stringer. Going to try again on wed. Water was so dirty today for some reason.

Comment

I'm going to heading to VA beach for a bachelor party tonight through sunday. Sadly, I won't have my yak with me but planned on fishing from the banks/jetties around Rudee inlet on Saturday morning til 9 or 10ish. I figured I might as well check out the area while I'm there. Are there any areas around the north side of the inlet that you are not allowed to fish? Hopefully the bite picks up, last weekend was a bust for me in the paradise grill flounder tourney.

Comment

Working...
                  X