Fishing mouth of Magothy and Dividing Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing mouth of Magothy and Dividing Creek

Any tips for fishing this area. It seems the water gets much deeper. How do I get my rig lower in the water? I am assuming I wouldn't bottom fish. I really have no idea what to do.

Tom,

I have never fished the Magothy with my kayak because access to it is limited to say the least. But looking at a Google Earth photo of the area you mentioned it looks ripe for shallow water exploration with your kayak. Stripers return to the shallows at this time of year and are susceptible to lures either trolled near shorelines or tossed to structure. So don't forego the shallows as you head to deeper water of the Magothy. Look for riprap, piers, downed wood, etc. in water 4 to 6 feet deep. You might be pleasantly surprised at what's lurking there.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark is spot on for the area. The bayside shores of Gibson Island can productive. If you are looking to fish the narrows, you either drift through the area with the current (depending on the number of anchored power boaters) or anchor in the shallower water along the edge of the channel. Either way you can jig paddle tails or BKDs through the area using half ounce (+) heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tom--I fish the Magothy all the time. I'm located not too far from Dividing Creek. Things are kind of slow right now--it's summer and only the perch are out there. As it gets cooler the rockfish will move in, generally September thru November ( if we're lucky!). I'll P.M. you when that happens in a few weeks and we can meet and give it a try. I've got a private launch on my street and several proven locations we can try.
        Also, as it gets cooler the chain pickeral action in and around Dividing Creek will pick up.
        Hope this helps--Al

Comment

Thanks everyone! These site is awesome!!

Comment

What lure are you use for chain pickeral fish. If you don't mind for ask

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
            2014 Hobie Outback
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
            2nd PLACE
            Slam Division

Comment

Originally posted by Ken kayak View Post
              What lure are you use for chain pickeral fish.
              I have caught them on spinning tackle using 1/8 oz. jigs with spinners attached. The trailers on the jigs have either been bucktail or Mr. Twister plastics.

Also I have caught them on Clouser Minnows and foam poppers on a fly rod.

In each case yellow or green was the dominant color on the lure.

They can be hard on lures because of their toothy and boney mouth.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Pickerel will bite almost anything

Crank baits
                swim shads
                worms
                minnows
                spinner baits
                jerk baits

anything moving
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by Ken kayak View Post
                  What lure are you use for chain pickeral fish. If you don't mind for ask

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
                  Pickerel bites will become more frequent as the water cools off. By early November, it is possible to target them in Severn tributaries and other similar water bodies. You can fish all sorts of small lures -- spinners, twister tails, paddletails, Gulps, small plugs. But the most successful thing I use during the winter months is live minnows fished on a 1/8-oz jighead. I cast the minnow out and retrieve it slowly -- just like a lure. I have seen some anglers using metal leaders for pickerel -- this is not necessary. I fish ultralight rods with 10-lb Powerpro and a 20-lb mono leader. I have very few bite offs or break offs. The leader allows me to get control of the fish at boatside more easily.

During most summers, the Severn pickerel bite is quite slow. This year has been unusual, in that the pickerel are continuing to hit lures thrown for perch. Earlier this week I fished for perch in two Severn tributaries. In addition to catching a bunch of perch, I caught two pickerel. They hit Bignose spinners.

Two years ago, I gave a presentation to a CCA chapter on catching pickerel in tidal waters. If you or other interested persons send me your email address, I will send a copy of that presentation.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank you you guy
                    Kelvin4ngo@yahoo.com

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
                    2014 Hobie Outback
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                    2nd PLACE
                    Slam Division

Comment

Never catch pickerel yet. I want to them too