How far do you drive to reach the Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
    the only problem I have Donnie, Is my neighbors and co-workers don't fish so unless all you guys come down, its all fishin alone. fishing alone is great sometimes but usually its better to share the experience on the water with a few folks. the only problem for all the northern living folks is you just cant predict the wind down here. it can be glass before you go to bed and then swells in the morning. hard for the northern guys to drive all the way down for that. but any day im home anyone is invited to swing by for some fishing
    Just found out you're down by Point Lookout. Yeah it's quite a way. I used to have a sailboat and have sailed down there a number of times. It's been a dream of mine to retire near the water. I don't think I'll ever afford waterfront but like to be within 10 minutes way.
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Being that I'm not content with White Perch and dink Stripers, it's 4hrs to VA Beach.

Comment

I am lucky. I can drive 5 minutes to SPSP or walk 5 minutes to a short trib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There might not be much to do here on the lower eastern shore, but I have quick access to a lot of the bay. I can be to Crisfield for specks and OC for tog/sheepies/flounder in about 30 minutes. In the spring I am about an hour from big reds and cobia. In the fall it takes be 2 hours to get to the CBBT.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
            I live in Silver Spring. I can have rods n the water in a little over an hour at western shore put-ins. But I prefer the water clarity, natural shorelines, and less motor boat/jet ski traffic on the Eastern Shore put-ins.

I prefer driving the extra hour to get to the Talbot County free launch sites (there are dozens!) off Eastern Bay or the Choptank. To me, it's worth the extra drive, especially in the summer when boat traffic and water quality are at their worst on the western shore. Having friends to visit in the Shore is a plus for me as well.

It's not all about catching fish for me, although it's great when I do. The quality of the experience overall is much higher on the Eastern Shore, IMO. My last trip on the Rhode River (last Thurs afternoon) was pretty much ruined by jet skiers.
            Nice. I don't like the long drives, but now I'm gonna have to check it out just for the water clarity aspect. To get away from the crowds I will hit St. Inigoes or PLO. Most of the power boats I see launch at PLO head out to the main bay leaving the area around the point rather quiet.

hahaha, Buzz, I read the title and opened it ready to give a sarcastic remark and state a 10 foot walk till I saw you threw my exempt part. Priceless. haha
            LOL... ha ha ha... you know I'm just jealous...

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
            SMOG membership is wide open, so join us on our outings! BigMike, fishingingod and Yak67.
            Well, I live in Southern Maryland... I'm old... and I'm a guy... so count me in.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I drive way too far on a regular basis. Little over 2.5 hours on a good day to HRBT, and closer to 3 to Cbbt...typically longer than that, especially during tourist season. I have a free place to stay once I am down there, so I am only 10-15 minutes from HRBT and 20-30 to cbbt. I usually stay for at least a couple days and rarely drive both ways in a single day.

But when I do fish middle bay, I am about an hour from BT, SPSP, or Breezy Point and 1.5 hours or so to PLO.
              Last edited by JohnE; 08-19-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

10 mins to Tucker St ramp on Weems Creek. 15 mins to Jonas Green or Sandy Point. 30 mins to Goodhands, Kent Narrows, or Shipping Creek. I rarely drive more than that.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Five minutes to the Willoughby Ramp for the HRBT. Maybe 10 minutes to launch in East Ocean View for a three-mile paddle to the CBBT. A lot of times, I'll fish in Lynnhaven, just off the bay, though, and I really like the Eastern Shore, just inshore of the barrier islands. I'm a pretty inexperienced fisherman, though, so I'll often choose glassy water, pretty surroundings, and a steady croaker bite over better fishing.
                  Pescador 12

Comment

6-8 hr. from my home in up state NY too my trailer at Madison Bay campground . then it is 0-1/2 hr. to the 4-5 places I have fished so far . I love the Dorchester marches .

Comment

[QUOTE=buzz;117737]Nice. I don't like the long drives, but now I'm gonna have to check it out just for the water clarity aspect. To get away from the crowds I will hit St. Inigoes or PLO. Most of the power boats I see launch at PLO head out to the main bay leaving the area around the point rather quiet.

Buzz,

This summer I've also made it a point to explore as many launch sites in the shore as possible. Favorites for me so far in Talbot Co are Lowe's Wharf, Dogwood Harbor, and Black Walnut Pt. but I have several more there I want to try.

Two weeks ago, I was in Dorchester Co. John Veil suggested I try Madison Bay and it's beautiful. Cambridge at Great Marsh Prk is convenient to to Rt. 50. When I have more time, I really want to check out the Honga River at the Hoopers Island launch. I went there for just a drive and it was AWESOME. You feel like you're at the end of the world there. Old Saltys Restaurant is supposed to be good as well.

I have as much fun exploring new launches as I do catching fish! Chatting up the crabbers and clammers is also great fun. I've offered to buy a couple peelers off the boat for bottom fishing, and twice the gave me two and wouldn't take a dime!
                      Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-19-2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I would say its 10 feet give or take a few.........[ATTACH=CONFIG]16828[/ATTACH]
                        That is a great picture..... I must join you for another adult beverage after fishing.

Comment

Moc, you are always welcome my friend. this week as changed dramatically since yesterday. the water is muddy and the wind and waves are coming in. good thing i have a few filets in the fridge. Saturday shows sunny although the wind looks bad right now.
                          Rich
                          Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I'm out of Gaithersburg so about 45 min to SPSP or more preferably I put in another 30-45 and go East or down to Triton. In the early morning, like 4a, I make up a ton of time not having to deal with traffic.
                            -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Hay there . I would like too get together with others when I am in Madison Bay . I do mostly marsh fishing . I come down for a week or more at a time each month . Starting in September I will be splitting my time with hunting and fishing . I normley fish with a friend on Saturdays but am by myself on week days . Any tackers ?

Comment

Originally posted by RIng View Post
                                Hay there . I would like too get together with others when I am in Madison Bay . I do mostly marsh fishing . I come down for a week or more at a time each month . Starting in September I will be splitting my time with hunting and fishing . I normley fish with a friend on Saturdays but am by myself on week days . Any tackers ?
                                A possibility for me, however Sept is shaping up as a busy month work wise, so tough for me to plan more than a few days ahead. I will pm you if I can get away. It would be during the week. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X