No announcement yet.

How far do you drive to reach the Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far do you drive to reach the Bay?

Except for fishinggod (), how far do you all have to lug your yaks to reach the bay?
    I'm not talking about tributaries... heck, I can hit the Potomac in 8 minutes. No, I talking about the Chesapeake Bay. How far do you drive to reach that big bay water?

I wish I was closer. At 55 minutes, Beverly-Triton and Breezy Point are the 2 closest bay launches for me.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I rarely travel much more than 30 minutes. In that time I can head north and reach the flats or south and reach the bay bridge with a little longer drive.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

I live in Silver Spring. I can have rods n the water in a little over an hour at western shore put-ins. But I prefer the water clarity, natural shorelines, and less motor boat/jet ski traffic on the Eastern Shore put-ins.

I prefer driving the extra hour to get to the Talbot County free launch sites (there are dozens!) off Eastern Bay or the Choptank. To me, it's worth the extra drive, especially in the summer when boat traffic and water quality are at their worst on the western shore. Having friends to visit in the Shore is a plus for me as well.

It's not all about catching fish for me, although it's great when I do. The quality of the experience overall is much higher on the Eastern Shore, IMO. My last trip on the Rhode River (last Thurs afternoon) was pretty much ruined by jet skiers.
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-19-2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

hahaha, Buzz, I read the title and opened it ready to give a sarcastic remark and state a 10 foot walk till I saw you threw my exempt part. Priceless. haha
        Rich
        Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

about 100 yards for me
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I would say its 10 feet give or take a few.........20150722_181000_resized.jpg
            Rich
            Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I am near Joint Base Andrews, everything seems to be 1-hour+ to reach the Bay and the lower slower; Southern Maryland Old Guys(SMOG). I enjoy the drives since I am retired, so I might not be a good measure. As long as I can catch fish when I get there, I am a happy camper.
              SMOG membership is wide open, so join us on our outings! BigMike, fishingingod and Yak67.

Yak67
              2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

In 5 minutes I can be to Downs Park in Pasadena which is on the Bay between the Magothy and Patapsco Rivers.

However, I prefer protected waters so I trek to the Severn often which can take 30 minutes depending on Route 2 traffic (9 lights to Jonas) even though it is fairly close to my house in miles.

I feel fortunate to have so many tidal launching options well within 45 minutes of my house including Kent Island.

Those of you with waterfront access are REALLY fortunate.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

25 miles to SPSP or Triton.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I live in Gaithersburg so it's about 55 minutes to the Bay Bridge. Oooooh how I wish I have fishinggod's problem!!!!!
                    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Drive 5 min paddle from my house about 200 yards to patapsco and 2 miles to bay
                      D Hawk
                      Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                      Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

the only problem I have Donnie, Is my neighbors and co-workers don't fish so unless all you guys come down, its all fishin alone. fishing alone is great sometimes but usually its better to share the experience on the water with a few folks. the only problem for all the northern living folks is you just cant predict the wind down here. it can be glass before you go to bed and then swells in the morning. hard for the northern guys to drive all the way down for that. but any day im home anyone is invited to swing by for some fishing
                        Rich

Comment

I'm 35 feet from freshwater fishing, 5 minutes to the lower Patuxent, 15 to the bay and 25 to The lower Potomac. I factor where I go based on the winds. With major bodies of water north, south, and east you can find protected water just about anytime. Finding fish, a different story.

Being a SMOG means my kids have flown the coop and freed up some beds. I extend the offer to stay if you wanted an early start down in the slower lower without having to leave your house at 4 AM.
                          Mike
                          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

1.5 hours to SPSP.
                            2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
                              the only problem I have Donnie, Is my neighbors and co-workers don't fish so unless all you guys come down, its all fishin alone. fishing alone is great sometimes but usually its better to share the experience on the water with a few folks. the only problem for all the northern living folks is you just cant predict the wind down here. it can be glass before you go to bed and then swells in the morning. hard for the northern guys to drive all the way down for that. but any day im home anyone is invited to swing by for some fishing
                              Hey, what about me, I fish with you. I show you a good spot and how quickly you forget. Lesson learned.
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X