Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC 6-23 Worst Kayak Day For Pinch Ever!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im pretty sure they will take care of it. Hobie is pretty good about replacing hulls and stuff with probems. let us know what they say.

awesome report btw!
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I wish I could of stayed out longer. It was a good morning, I caught 3 flounder (all shorts), but still good fish, 14 inch range. I'll post some pics later.

And for the boat traffic... there were a lot of boats out yesterday morning and I didn't have an issue. I was drifting the east channel with about 10 boats, basically next to them and had no issues.

Comment

That's quite the day you had. Good, Bad, Then good again, Then bad. I'm sure Hobie will take care of that hull for you.

You flounder release has me thinking about a net now.

Comment

man when you have a bad day you really have a bad day good luck monday

Comment

After much searching, I finally found this board! Let me introduce myself, I am Dan, the witness to Pinch's incredibly bad day.

I met Pinch on the northern tip of AI, behind the rip rap at the west end of the south jetty. I was hoping to find some rock fish in the area. No other boats were around and the normally busy OC inlet was smooth and quiet. Needless to say, I was shocked when I came around the rocks and found another yakker, beached like a disoriented dolphin. Being the curious type, I jumped off my yak and introduced myself, and met Pinch. He explained that he was taking on water. Fortunatley by the time he drained his boat and started back to the launch, the Coasties were out practicing towing each other around.

We parted ways and I ended up fishing under the Rt 50 bridge. I was near the end of my time in OC. It had been a pretty frustrating week of fishing (with only a few kingfish caught in the surf, I needed a little pullage). Anyway, I noticed the shad were going crazy under the bridge, so I threw out a white speck rig and started crushing them. I know there are those who turn their noses up at shad, but I really believe they are the Poor Man's Tarpon. Most of them went airborne on me and made quite a show. At one point something big grabbed the speck rig and spun around on me. After a couple head shakes, it started taking line and headin back under the bridge. Either I didn't play my drag right or the line rubbed against the bridge, but I figure it was a big rockfish or blue. I never had a ray do a headshake. (On a side note I read about a 38" blue caught under the bridge that week).

I resumed my shad fishing with a new speck rig and saw Pinch zipping accross the bay. By now the wind and current had picked up some and I hate to admit but I was just a little jealous of his yak. Anyway, I did indeed witness him pull a doormat flounder up and (it was almost in slow motion) Just as Pinch pulled its head out of the water and inch or two, the bugger shook the hook and swam away. I think Pinch's reaction would violate the user agreement so it will suffuce to say he was displeased.......

that was a huge flounder and easily a citation fish.

The good news is he's still down there.........

It was great fishing with Pinch, and I'm glad he told me about this board. Hope to see some of you out there.

Tight lines

Comment

Welcome Hooked. I fished with Pinch on Saturday, and loosing that flounder was still on his mind. He told me about meeting you in OC. I will probably try to make it down to fish OC before the summer is out if Pinch is able to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                Welcome Hooked. I fished with Pinch on Saturday, and loosing that flounder was still on his mind. He told me about meeting you in OC. I will probably try to make it down to fish OC before the summer is out if Pinch is able to make it.
                Thanks

If I had lost that fish, it would be on my mind for a long time to come. I'm hoping to hit OC again this summer as well.

Comment

awesome to see you on here Dan. Hopefully you can make the Meet and greet in july. I went out and bought a colapsing landing net for next time. Im going to get the darn doormat back.....i still dream of it.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Welcome Dan! Great story! Glad you got into some. I, for one will not turn my nose up at shad. I like 'em very much, thank you. Especially in the spring when they're up in the Potomac Rive near where I live. Great fun on light tackle.

Hope to see you out there sometime. Maybe you can make one of our monthly meet & greets. Every 2nd Saturday. Last month about 15 guys got together at Point Lookout SP. On July 9th we're scheduled to meet at Slavin's on Mattawoman Creek for our first annual snakehead hunt. Should be fun!

John

Comment

I will try to get down at some point. I have to work on July 9, but a snakehead hunt sure sounds like fun. We don't really get them up here.

I will be at Elk Neck SP the first weekend in August with my son's Boy Scout Troop. If anyone has any fishing suggestions for that area I'd appreciate it.....

Comment

Working...
                      X