Prettyboy Reservoir / Non Kayak - 100% Fairy Wand Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prettyboy Reservoir / Non Kayak - 100% Fairy Wand Trip

Over 50 fish caught from 7AM-12PM on Friday. Beautiful, healthy fish. Lovely water. No wind. Low humidity. All fish caught on the fairy wand using foam spiders. Fish were close to shore, near rocks or shade. The big smallie was about 18 or 19 inches. Nice sized rock bass too.

Now that's a nice day!

I really like that pink fly.

I fished there once last year in a friend's boat and got a bunch of sunfish, rock bass and smallmouth, but no smallies as big as the one in your photo.

Congratulations.

My friend was getting them on a Texas rigged worm dropped down onto the rocks (visibility was astounding) and I was fly rodding on top near the shoreline. We couldn't miss with that approach and we didn't.

Is there still a prohibition about bringing boats from different waters onto the reservoir?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Haha...my friends refer to my Winston BIIX 4wt as my fairy wand.
      Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
      Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Thanks Mark,

It was a great trip and only the 2nd time I've been there. Both times we caught plenty of fish and the pink and lime green spiders were catching fish all morning long. It is amazing that such a big smallmouth went after such a tiny floating spider fly. The old timer I was fishing with tied the flies himself and he acts like they are super cheap and easy to make. It was my first attempt with the fly rod all year and I was very happy with the results.

I need to give the foam spiders a try out on the Upper Potomac to see how they do there.

Tom

Comment

Nice work with the bug wand! Pretty fish.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            I need to give the foam spiders a try out on the Upper Potomac to see how they do there.
            They'll do fine, I'm certain.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X