No announcement yet.

CBBT (Black Drum, Flounder, Spadefish, Triggerfish & 26" Sheepie) Aug 15, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT (Black Drum, Flounder, Spadefish, Triggerfish & 26" Sheepie) Aug 15, 2015

I didn't catch all of the fish. They were caught by JohnE, Tufnik, Matt and me.
    The biggest catch was Matt's 26" sheepie.

After catching a 28" black drum, nothing went on. I was working on one piling where I ran out of clam. I suspected there were sheepies on the piling. Then Matt (SLAP) showed up. Usually he found fish and I stole his spots. He found spadefish. He gave me clam and taught me how to catch spadefish. So I caught spadefish. Later I fished for sheepies again. I felt a light tug, and set the hook. I thought I had a huge sheepie. But the fish got away. I am still heart broken about that.

I added Matt's trophy sheepie picture to the fishing log video below:

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice spades, Joe!

I started jigging for flounder on my way out to the 1st island with a white bucktail. It was after 9 am when I landed a 18” flounder. Finally, after nothing on previous trips, I get to take home fish.

I was fishing at a piling later in the morning when I heard Slap call out from behind me, “Hey, tufnik, can you do me a favor?”

I said, “Sure,” and he promptly lifted up a huge sheep. “Can you take a picture of me with the fish?”

Wow, and I saw it with my own eyes: a 26” sheep. I took several snapshots.

I went on to catch croakers, toads, bsb, and pigfish during the day using frozen clams. I too was after sheep, but no sheep.

Another highlight of the day is when I saw a bunch of breaking bait fish about a hundred feet away. I pulled out my gear and started casting. After the third cast, I got a hit. The thing pulled out line so I tighten the drag. From a distance, the long grayish body gave me thoughts it might be cobia. If it was, it sure didn’t look like it made keeper size of 37”.

It was a pretty feisty fighter; did some dramatic splashes. I was disappointed when it came closer in; not cobia, but a shark.

I met two other yakers on shore. They took home three keeper flounder.

Good fishing with you guys: ComeOnFish, JohnE and Slap. Got to do it again.

It was an excellent day to yak fish, with blue sky, light breeze, fair current and calm water.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 08-16-2015, 11:03 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice job guys!

Man I wish I could of went... but I'm going to be there next week for a whole week. Hopefully I can sneak out a day or 2.

Comment

Thanks for the report, I wish I would have tried harder for spade on Friday. Here are some of my catches from HRBT and CBBT early Friday morning/ Friday day. I caught far more toads then I would have liked... I ended up bringing home half dozen croaker 10-11.5", one trigger at 12" and three ribbon fish. Also caught undersized weakfish, striper, and sea bass.

Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I think I can get out there again on Sat (22 Aug), Dave. Do you plan to fish Sat?

Ryan,
          If you tried it, how does needlefish taste? Better than toad? Actually, toads are pretty tasty, but I don't bring them home.

Joe,
          What bait did you use for the drum?

Comment

Ribbon fish was pretty good. I pan fried some for lunch. Pure white meat with light, delicate flavor. And since they don't have scales, you can just cut the filet off and your done. Apparently they are somewhat of a delicacy in Korean cuisine: galchi jorim
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

The next needlefish I catch, I'll take it home to try it. After all, I tried toad.

Hey, what's with the Sat evening traffic on N-95? I thought they supposed to go home Sun afternoon. Sat evening traffic was definitely not going the usual 80 mph. Bumper to bumper and red lights a mile or so ahead.

Comment

This was ribbon fish aka cutlass fish not needle fish
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Traffic was awful Friday afternoon too. Took me 5.5 hours to get home, when it should take 4 or less.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    Ribbon fish was pretty good. I pan fried some for lunch. Pure white meat with light, delicate flavor. And since they don't have scales, you can just cut the filet off and your done. Apparently they are somewhat of a delicacy in Korean cuisine: galchi jorim
                    Yes, my wife and her family love cutlass fish. They are some toothy rascals.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      It was a pretty feisty fighter; did some dramatic splashes. I was disappointed when it came closer in; not cobia, but a shark.
                      I've only caught dogfish, but pound for pound they are serious fighters. What kind of shark was that; small blacktip?
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

From my pic, it sure looks like black tip. I've caught dogfish too, but I hooked up with the rig near the bottom. This shark was cruising near the surface, and it's a pretty fast swimmer.

Cutlass looks good from these images:
                        https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001
                        You guys have any special and secret, but simple, recipe?

Comment

I'll be at sandbridge from the 22 - 29..sat to sat so Sunday or week days if u come down

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                            From my pic, it sure looks like black tip. I've caught dogfish too, but I hooked up with the rig near the bottom. This shark was cruising near the surface, and it's a pretty fast swimmer.

Cutlass looks good from these images:
                            https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001
                            You guys have any special and secret, but simple, recipe?
                            My wife marinates them in soy sauce then pan fries, usually. Just guts them, cuts into steaks and cook with the skin on.

Edit add: Sometimes she makes "mulgogi jjigae" literal translation: fish soup.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Good seeing everybody out there. I fished cbbt all weekend. Got my fix for a bit, but I just can't seem to get enough of this place.

Friday... got 2 keeper flounder at 16 and 18.5", bunch of toads and croaker.20150814_145919.jpg

Sat...could not get any keeper flounder, only dinks. Got 1 trigger, and messed with about half dozen spades. Hooked something massive again but my light fluorocarbon leader actually broke the thing was so heavy. Did not really feel head shakes but it was moving and alive.

20150815_140356.jpg

Pic of sunrise launch Saturday. 20150815_062303.jpg
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by JohnE; 08-17-2015, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X