Honga report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honga report

Grass is still a problem, but it is manageable now. Green flies are around the shore, but I don't think anyone got bit.

Cowkid2 got her first Speck! 15" keeper, trolling a 1/4 oz jig with a 4" paddle tail in 3.5 feet of water.

I got one keeper Rock just over 20" on the same set up, in the same water.

We put in a lot of miles trolling; the most so far for my daughter, she logged a little over 10 miles, and I put in just over 12 miles. Beautiful weather. We were hoping for better catching. We launched at 9am, and fished until just before 5pm. Mostly in the shallows, looking for speck. There were a few solo birds working, some fish making the water nervous, but no solid action to speak of; unless you are interested in countless pre-schoolie striper in the 12-16" range. Fun to catch, and a bonus for kids to stay engaged, but the catching we were hoping for has not shown up yet. With the long drive, and longer pedal, it's not worth it yet.

I tried the channel edge (1/2oz jig with 4" tail), where it drops from 10' to 35' really quickly and only got a coupe arches on the fish finder; those of you that have been there know where I'm talking about. No bites. Hopefully catching picks up, but I won't be going back there this month...keeper size rock are much closer to home at the moment.

She is happy with her Outback...and I'm pleased with the trailer.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Couple more pictures, that was the best part of the day.

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Great report.. good riddance to the green flies

Comment

Good times! It was the first time I took my oldest out on the kayak and it worked like a charm. Great option for any parents out there wanting to take their kid out!

As far as fishing goes we managed a few schooling but no keepers...

Sent from Tapatalk
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
            Good times! It was the first time I took my oldest out on the kayak and it worked like a charm. Great option for any parents out there wanting to take their kid out!

As far as fishing goes we managed a few schooling but no keepers...

Sent from Tapatalk
            The way he was standing and casting; I thought I was watching a pro on TV!
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              The way he was standing and casting; I thought I was watching a pro on TV!
              Thanks bro! He's been practicing a lot! I'll let him know you complemented him
              -Mustafa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks bro! He's been practicing a lot! I'll let him know you complemented him
                Set him up some targets on the grass and sit next to him so he gets a more realistic practice environment.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Good idea!
                  -Mustafa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Looks like a great day out there! Mustafa have you shown your son the way of the Masgouf cast yet? LOL

Comment

Good idea!
                      No hooks! Just tie a half ounce sinker on his line...it might leave a mark if he hits you while practicing to "set the hook", but you won't get impaled.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Agreed, the Outback looks like a great option for carrying the occasional fishing kid. Great to see it in action.
                        -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                          Looks like a great day out there! Mustafa have you shown your son the way of the Masgouf cast yet? LOL
                          LOL! Not yet the alley-oop is still a little advanced for him!
                          -Mustafa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Lol that's right! The alley-oop! Cool to see you out there with him. I hope my kids love to fish enough to go out with me, enough to give me another reason to justify my trips to the wife! Ahahaha

Comment

Good snapshot. For I second, I thought your son was out sight-casting for cobia...lol...
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                              X