HELP WANTED! Trying not to reinvent the wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP WANTED! Trying not to reinvent the wheel

So....I am about a year in now. I have loved 99% of my kayak fishing. For whatever reason the kayak crowd seems to be very friendly and the fishing opportunities have increased a good bit for me since buying my Tarpon. I do have one constant complaint. I have a milk crate in the cargo area behind my seat. It has three rod holders on it and I keep most of my gear in the crate. I have noticed that I have a pretty difficult time reaching around behind me to get to my gear. I realize the Tarpon isn't the most stable boat and I have not taken a swim as of yet but I do struggle reaching around behind me when I need to grab something out of the crate. I was thinking I could mount some sort of something or another that has a pivot arm on it and I could swing the crate around. Does this even make sense? I haven't seen anything like this on the forum but I think I could pull this off. I would appreciate any input you all have. Thanks. I am headed out right now to fish the Susquehanna up in the rock pools. 4 small and 2 large running at 4pm flowing at 40K cfs. Sounds too good not go. I hope to post a report in the morning as I wont get off of the river until after dark. Thanks, Mike
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

I have a crate behind my seat. (Sometimes it's a crate and sometimes it's a BlackPak.) Regardless the best way for me to access my storage container is to not reach behind which indeed lessens stability but to reach to my left. I accomplish that by swinging my feet overboard to the left while keeping my center of gravity (my butt) firmly planted in my seat. My kayak remains stable and I can easily see and reach inside my crate or BlackPak.

The cost is wet feet. But that's better than turtling.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Another option is to significantly reduce the amount of tackle you carry with you on a trip. You could put a few items into the storage space between your legs. You could put some other items in pockets of your vest. You could put whatever else you need into a Plano waterproof box that can sit either on the floor in front of you, in the space in front of your foot pegs, or on the floor of the rear well. If you choose the rear wells, you can reach it without turning around -- just feel behind you for the corner of the box.

I know that these are all doable things -- I have done them myself on different kayaks I have used. It is tough to move away from the storage provided by a crate, but try to be realistic -- how much of that tackle do you really use on any given trip.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have the same problem in my older (10+ years) T160, I have the insert for mine. I have thought about making some outriggers to put in my rocket launchers which would "I think" increase stability and allow me to stand and reach in the tank well easier.

Comment

I've often thought of just that...a pivot arm. It would be a reinvention of the crate. I could envision multiple sections swinging out like a swiss army knife, but I think it'd be tough to keep simple and rugged. I've actually made some sketches but never acted on any of it at this point.

Until we figure it out, consider swinging your legs over the side of the yak so you are mounting it sideways. That'll give you easy access to your crate without fear of tipping.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Ok, thanks to you all. I will swing my legs over the side for now but I have not given up on the pivot arm just yet. Thanks again.

Comment

John, Good point. I usually use just a few lures and I carry enough to outfit a small tackle shop. I really only need my leader material, a handful of lures and my rods. I carry hemostats and a line cutter on my vest. I really should consider downsizing.

Comment

I use to carry enough for any possible situation on the bay. Way too much tackle for the bay and most fishing on it. Over the last couple years I slowly took less and less. I have the pro angler hatch on my outback, and use the tub/bin that fits inside to carry my tackle. So much easier than a crate full. I also modified the inside of the hatch and use that to carry my perch tackle and small terminal tackle.

I'm not familiar with the tarpon, but I'm sure there could be a way to ditch the crate all together, unless it's needed for rod holders.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                  I use to carry enough for any possible situation on the bay. Way too much tackle for the bay and most fishing on it. Over the last couple years I slowly took less and less. I have the pro angler hatch on my outback, and use the tub/bin that fits inside to carry my tackle. So much easier than a crate full. I also modified the inside of the hatch and use that to carry my perch tackle and small terminal tackle.

I'm not familiar with the tarpon, but I'm sure there could be a way to ditch the crate all together, unless it's needed for rod holders.
                  I am still in the Be Prepared for ANYTHING mode. As I fish more and more, I am discovering what I can leave behind and what I can do without. Some have referred to me as a gear whore. Probably not far from the truth...

Just hate the idea of not having the right item at the right time - but am working on it - one day at a time....
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                    ...unless it's needed for rod holders.
                    That’s why I use either a crate or my Blackpak on my trips. They serve as base mounts for my rods whether that means a setup for trolling, or for holding fly rods, or for carrying conventional rods for casting, or some combination thereof.

My Revo is sleek and fast but deck space is sparse and the gunnels are narrow. It has two flush mount rod holders behind the seat which are not functional for fly rods.

My crate and Blackpak therefore give me several Scotty rod storage configurations (without drilling onto the Revo's gunnels) and allow me to carry items such as water, snacks, sunblock and a few tools for emergency repairs in otherwise limited space. I also place a couple of medium or small Plano boxes for flies or lures in my crate or Blackpak. On many trips I never open the Plano boxes, relying instead on the rods I have at my disposal (3 or 4) to switch my approach. But it’s nice to know that the Plano boxes are there when I snag a lure or can’t get the colors I have pre-strung to work.

But yes, I bet if we all take a serious look at what we bring on our outings we can reduce our cargo.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I used to use a crate as well, but if you look into what you are actually using on the water you might find that you only need a small Plano box and a few assorted items in your vest. I believe it was John who persuaded me into this. I use a Eagle Talon 12 and a Hobie Revo 13 and choose not to have a crate. There's less gear to carry and more space to maneuver. Some say it's useful for storing rods or as rod mounts without drilling into your kayak, which is definitely true, but done properly the mounts won't cause any problems and can be easier to position for trolling.
                      J

Comment

You could pull one of these.

http://kayakkaddy.com/
                        2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumptrelecent View Post

I just realized these are $200. Prob not the best solution.
                          2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Interesting. It's a kayak trailer in tow.

I just realized these are $200. Prob not the best solution.

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

LOL Interesting idea but seems impractical. Extra drag... the kaddy be in the way when navigating the rapids.... curious how it will handle the chops in the chesapeake bay... kaddy be in the way when trolling...
                              Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X