Kent island question/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent island question/help

never fished up north and had a question about the tournament coming up...will it truly benefit me to bring an anchor system? i have the system purchased just haven't installed and i haven't purchased the actual anchor. i just don't know what techniques are needed for the waters up there. i just want to make this trip an enjoyable vacation, not to win the thing. so if anchoring is used often for a specific technique any advice would be awesome. plus if you do recommend an anchor install, what anchor do you suggest for use? oh and a side question, is fresh bait or live bait allowed or is it all artificial? i couldn't find that answer on the link. thanks again.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

I never use an anchor and most of folks I fish with here in the mid-Bay do not. Most of my fishing is casting or trolling. I have pedals and they help me hold position when I want to stay in or return to a particular area. When not trolling, I am usually drifting along casting lures to shorelines or structure occasionally pedaling or steering to correct my course. In other words, I'm always moving. The waters here are very conducive to that style of fishing.

You can use live/cut bait in the tournament. It's possible you may want to anchor in an area while using bait. I don't know. Others who fish with bait can comment. But if you are using lures, I see little need for an anchor in the tournament waters we fish.

Good luck in the tournament. I hope you enjoy your visit to the area.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, thanks for the info. i think i will bring one just incase i the current presents a spot i want to sit down on. now to decide what anchor. i can't wait to fish up there. somewhere new, even though i haven't even fished all the waters down here yet. no care in the world to win, just to have a dang good time with others
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
        .....just to have a dang good time with others
        Oh that's Friday afternoon/evening. And the fishing depends on just how good of a time you had the night before.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing you at the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
            Oh that's Friday afternoon/evening. And the fishing depends on just how good of a time you had the night before.
            i'll be bringing some temptation, but not enough to ruin my first northern outing thats for sure.
            Rich

Comment

if you fish the Bay Bridge the water is pretty deep and filled with debris that could tangle an anchor- most of us who fish with live bait live line for stripers and/or use bloodworms on double bottom rigs to catch spot for live lining...also you will need a live well system or a trolling bait bucket to keep your bait alive-

I sometimes anchor in water 25-30 feet deep when I am chumming and bait fishing but no deeper- It helps a lot to have a Hobie so that you can maintain your position in current without anchoring-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

thanks for all the info everyone. i think I'm gonna bring one just incase i guess ya never know.
                Rich

Comment

You have a PA. Just pedal into the current or wind.
                  I have an anchor for mine. But have never used it.

Comment

Working...
                  X