Snapper time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapper time

I hit St Mary's Lake this morning and right off the bat I had some nice crappie and a yellow perch.
    001.jpg002.jpg
    The bass fishing left a lot to be desired today with a few dinks and I could only manage one 12" fish. While I was in the upper part of the lake I saw a commotion on the water and went over to investigate. Two huge snapping turtles were locked up in a fight (no, this wasn't turtle love nor even muskrat love if you're a Carpenters fan) and rolling each other over and over in the water. To show my age it reminded me very much of the album art from Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth where the giant turtle battles some sort of giant lizard. They were so caught up in the fight that they didn't stop even when my yak ran them over (the PA does not turn on a dime). Its seeing nature like this that makes it so fun to get on the water even when the fishing is only so so.

004.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

For those who aren't lucky enough to have the inner sleeve I've done a poor mans photo of it.

010.jpg
    Last edited by Big Mike; 08-12-2015, 01:24 PM.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Interesting report.

I suspect the LM bass are in their summer doldrums. When I was heavily into freshwater fishing I often switched to river smallmouth at this time of year.

I have read that male snapping turtles are territorial and those less dominant have to leave the area or even leave a small pond entirely to find a new home. Perhaps you saw that in action today.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, from my short experience at the pond on my property, i'd say you are right. there is only one huge turtle in the pond, and when one ventures over to it there is a huge battle then one leaves. exciting to watch the first time ya see it. i never got photos though as it always happened on the other side of the pond. love the photos Mike.
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

The pictures of the turtle are so cool....

Comment

don't dangle your toes over!
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I was fishing a few weeks ago and saw from a distance what appeared to be a head surface. I was curious so I paddled a few times and coasted near it. As I got closer I realized it was a snapping turtle. At that moment a much larger snapping turtle, presumably its mate, surfaced between us and hissed at me. Scared the crap out of me. Lol.

Comment

Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Wakeman and kayak fishing. Great report!

Comment

Working...
                X