Rod Holder Edjimicashun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Holder Edjimicashun

I'm "fishing" for experience/opinions about rod holders from the guys who have experience with the rod holders below. Currently all my bases are on the removable Feelfree mounts so they're easily adjustable on the kayak.

I currently use two Scotty Powerlock when trolling but the twist lock makes getting the rod in my hands after a strike a slow process. I've been thinking bout going to the Scotty Rocket Launcer because looks like getting the rod and setting the hook after a strike would be quick and easy. In my Scotty Powerlock my rods can flop around, which sometimes makes me concerned about damaging my rods, but I know they won't go for a swim. I've never seen or put my hands on the Scotty Rocket Launchers so I don't have a way to gauge how well rods will fit or how secure they are once in the tube. I'm trying to determine the benefits of switching, so what are your opinions/experiences with these holders?

Tangent Question:
    Any opinions about the Ram-Tubes vs. Scotty Rocket Launchers? Is there a big jump in quality and usability between the brands? The biggest difference I see is the price.
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

I made my own rocket launcher out of PVC, lots of folks on here have done the same, so there are many different designs.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I saw your PVC setup, I like it. I have one on my kayak also but I made it to keep my rods up away from the water a bit more. I like my rods out front when trolling because I'm using a paddle it's easier to keep track of them and see strikes.

I'll have to post a pic of it when I get home.
      - Justin
      2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

I am a big fan of the Yakattack Zooka Tubes. They are simple and make accessing a spin or casting rig easy. Does the Moken utilize any track systems? I have used the Scotty on my last kayak and like the Zooka's better for their simplicity and versatility. That being said, Scotty is still a solid option

http://www.yakattack.us/ZT_002_p/zt-002.htm

G0043686.jpg
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

EMSer, i took your advice and the zoo tubes just arrived about 30 minutes ago. i really like the look and feel of them. although i only run biatcasters i know after fishing here for a few months that i will be getting some spinning rigs so these will be awesome. ill post a review after this weekend. thanks again for the info.
          Rich
          Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

There are many good products out there. I started years ago with Scotty products and use them now for all my rod holders and electronics mounts. I even use several rail mount rod holders on the windshield rail on my center console. Here are the rod holders I use on all my kayaks.

The rod holders themselves are #279 Baitcaster/Spinning Rod Holder. They come with a rubber holder strap. I generally remove the strap because it is hard to loosen when a fish strikes.

For bases I use different types for front and rear. In the front on my paddle kayaks I use #438 Gear-Head Track Adapters that slide into my gear track.

004_2.jpg

In the front on my Slayer Propels, I need to move the rod holder farther to the sides so the rod butts do not interfere with my pedaling. I use the same base and rod holder and place #459 Adjustable Rod Holder Extender between them.

004.jpg

In the rear I use #241 Combination Side or Deck Mount.

010_2.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Powerlocks in front and rocket launchers behind seat. Powerlocks are on extenders to keep out the way of pedaling. Rocket launchers are used primarily for vertical rod storage on my rig, not so much for trolling. I like to troll with rods out front and have no problems with the powerlocks, though I guess it might take some getting used to. I use the molded in rod holders on the outback for my net or whatever. I fish a lot around structure, so the rocket launchers are really just there to keep my rods away from structure. Very happy with this setup. Third kayak I have had with this type of setup, though no extenders were needed when I paddled.

-Of couse everyone is different, so whatever works for you. Sure there will be a variety of responses.
              Last edited by JohnE; 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X